2009 Material

Discussion in 'A+' started by Sparx, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Hello,

I've recently been prompted by a friend about the CompTIA certificates and I'm interested in starting with A+, however I've noticed there is a 2009 Objectives one now, is this a new and revised exam meaning this would require additional revision for new content?

If so, are there any new books out yet or anything for the extra 2009 content? Or would Mike Meyer's old "A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Hardcover)" from Amazon.co.uk be suitable for the 2009 Objectives?

Thanks. :D

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+ / Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the 2009 exam hasn't started yet ir'll be mid - late summer before they change.

If you can knock out the exams before then the Meyers book will be fine but obviously if you take it after the exams are changed you will need to know newer material that will be in the new exams so therfore newer books

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparx

Sparx New Member

I've also heard that the new A+ and Network+ 2009 Objectives also drop some of the older content, would it be worth my time studying now for the CompTIA with the new 2009 exam on the horizon?

Should I just wait for them to release these new exams and for a book to be released to revise on this? :D

It's just I am interested in starting a Computer Networking course in September 2010 (year and a half away) and wanted to get a little head start for myself, what do you recommend I do in the meantime if A+ and Network+ aren't worth the time right now?

Thanks.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+ 2009 has already been released.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Ah, thanks! Just had a look on Amazon, I presume this is what I need for Network+ 2009?

What about A+ 2009 and my questions on it in my previous post? :blink

6. BosonMichael

No, actually, I'd recommend Sybex's Network+ book by Groth, when it's released. Alternatively/Additionally, I'd go with Mike Meyers' Network+ All-in-One Fourth Edition (when it is released in June).

I'd knock out the A+ 2006 ASAP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Wouldn't it be a waste of time though spending time revising old content and paying all the money for it then to do the 2009 one? Should I just wait for the 2009 one? As for Network+ 2009, I presume you know it's going to be a good book then if it's not out yet? I'll get it then if so when it's released.

Thanks. 8)

8. BosonMichael

I'd knock out the A+ 2006 ASAP. :biggrin Then, you don't have to wait for the 2009 one.

I know that Groth's and Meyers' previously published books have been good... therefore, it's highly likely that their new versions will be good as well. :)

9. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

When is the Sybex Network+ book by Groth going to be realeased?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  10. BosonMichael

Looks like it's coming out in April: link

But... it doesn't look like it's Groth's book anymore - Todd Lammle is writing it. His Cisco books (also published by Sybex) are pretty good, so I would guess that Lammle's Network+ book should be just fine.

11. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Yeah I know what your saying but, wouldn't it be pointless? With new content and a new exam coming out soon after? I'd rather learn the new content and have a more up to date and valued cert than the older one?

If you get what I mean.. :p

12. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Your cert is good for life, so if you take it now, you won't ever have to take it again so taking it sooner rather than later you don't have to worry about memorizing more information. Also, the objectives are not going to change drastically so the information is mostly going to be the same, and if you follow computing and technology news you don't need to worry about the new objectives much you should already be on top of learning the new stuff as it comes out. Remember one never stops learning. So BosonMichael is absolutely correct, take that exam ASAP you'll be happy you did.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  13. Sparx

Sparx New Member

Alright, thanks for the advice Greenbrucelee, BosonMichael and Pheonicks. :D

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The vast majority of the material will be the same. I have a 2003 objectives book and the hardware is almost exactly the same for 2006 and I don't expect it to change that much for 2009. Old technology dies hard in a business environment.

The way I see it, you can take a small risk that you might have to buy another book in 5-6 months, or you can play it safe and do nothing for two months waiting for the A+ 2009 study materials to be released.
    I know which option I'd take, and GBL, BM and Pheonicks have already said it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. rusko

rusko New Member

My Scenario is that I've just got the 2003 version and just realised..

Should I learn from that and wait until 2009 is released and you use that to revise and update? As I won't be taking the exam until 6 months time.

WIP: A+
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

there will be things to know in the new exams that were not even thought of in the 2003 objectives like Vista for instance.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The hardware is all pretty much the same, but the OS section is miles apart. 2003 still has a lot of windows 9x in it, whereas in 2006 the only 9x you really need to know is upgrade paths to 2000/XP.
    Study the hardware section, and anything relevant to 2000/XP OSs, then buy the new AIO as soon as it's released. That way you won't lose two months study and you'll only have to buy one more book.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job