2003/XP RIS install - can't see SCSI

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by derkit, Jan 31, 2010.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Playing around with the RIS install part for the 70-270 and after zimbo's videos I have eventually achieved it - but I came across a major headache, or at least it was at the time - I was wondering if someone could shed some light on it.

Boot up off PXE, picks up image and then during the text install process it now says it can't see the hard drive. Checking the BIOS out of my virtual machine, it says no hard drive - and this is a machine that has a current copy of XP on (yes, I was trying to over write it!)

Create a new empty vm with IDE hard drive instead of the SCSI that comes standard when you select an automatic XP install and it builds fine - so my question is this - why does a "standard XP" vm setup use SCSI and not IDE??

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Or is it on reflection my XP Pro vm that I'm using now is oddly using a SCSI drive - seems like the "standard" is IDE.......

but I can't think for the life of me why I would have any particular need to set this?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not sure as I haven't had this issue before and I have a few xp vm's running.

Have you tried setting it to AHCI instead of IDE or SCSI?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I haven't found the option for AHCI though?!

5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

oops misread

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. supernova

XP setup needs the scsi driver !!! create a virtual floppy with the drivers on. or set a VM with IDE and use instead.

the bios cant find the drive either?

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

This will probably fix it for you with regards to SCSI drivers.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006956

If the BIOS can't see it however there is an issue with the VM, after all this is prior to the OS actually loading and you wouldn't be needing drivers at that point.

I would start from scratch again, make sure you have the VM configured correctly (controllers\disks) and move on from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Super - use IDE instead, yep thats what I ended up doing! And no the BIOS doesn't see it at all. It has 4 spaces where the drives should be metioned, and only the secondary master is shown.

That's just given me a thought - what would a SCSI drive appear as in the BIOS because it is neither a primary/secondary master/slave..... hmmmm...

SimonD - cheers for the link. The VM was created from scratch shortly after I created this thread - New> VM. etc... I'm guessing its something in the setup of the VM itself but I'll have to check.

9. supernova

you didn't actually state which VM platform you were using.

is there a separate key combo to get to scsi settings like you get with option roms on scsi controllers?

i cant actually say i have used scsi in VMs in esxi, which i personally use.

what flavour of VMware you using workstation or esxi?

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

And now I can't recreate the problem at all - no matter whether I select SCSI or IDE in the custom setup of a XP vm....... It warns me and stops booting up the vm if I've selected a SCSI hard drive but then haven't included the drivers pointing me to the vmware website to get them.

For reference its Workstation.

hmmmmmm, odd. I'll ignore it for now and assume I was being a muppet :(

11. supernova

put it down to gremlins