2003 R2 server to a DC - DCPROMO issue....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

Today I was attempting to promote a 2003 R2 server to a DC but the error appeared relating to schema issues.

Now, I only have one other DC (2003 standard) so do I run the adprep.exe (found on the R2 disk) on this server seeing as it has all the FSMO roles? Is it as simple as running the exe from the command line with the following switches - ADPREP /FORESTPREP and ADPREP /DOMAINPREP?

Cheers,

Mark

:biggrin

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

What is the error message you get when running dcpromo?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi Onoski - I can't remember exactly but it refers to the schema as not being correct (roughly). Like I said the DC is not an R2 server I presumed that running adprep on this machine would 'prepare' the forrest and domain for an R2 DC. My head feels like a fried egg after today - tough day at the office!!

4. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

'The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory'- That's the error that appears after running DCPRMO on the R2 member server.

I think running this command from the R2 disk on the non R2 server should sort it....

Drive:\CMPNENTS\R2\ADPREP\adprep.exe /forestprep

But any further input would be appreciated - Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

What's the forest functional level of the production dc at the moment also does the active dc show anything in the event viewer at the same time as you run the dc promo on the new dc. Is the new dc a clean install?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Check to see if the command that you ran worked:

The correct version of the ADPrep.exe tool for Windows Server 2003 R2 is 5.2.3790.2075.

You can verify the operating system support level of the schema by looking at the value of the Schema Version registry subkey on a domain controller. You can find this subkey in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters

You can also verify the operating system support level of the schema by using the Adsiedit.exe utility or the Ldp.exe utility to view the objectVersion attribute in the properties of the cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=<domain> partition. The value of the Schema Version registry subkey and the objectVersion attribute are in decimal.

Schema Version ObjectVersion values and corresponding operating system support level
    •13=Microsoft Windows 2000
    •30=Original release version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    •31=Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2

See here.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Alright Dales - the Forrest level is 2000 mixed. So, do I raise the domain functional level then ADprep the Forrest/domain?

8. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Added to that, it's a clean install of 2003 and then exchange. A re-build after the last DC went tits up.

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Dubfire, thanks for the info but looks like you might have to extend the windows server 2003 schema first. Read through the technet document as it would give you the steps.

Steps for Extending the Schema

Let us know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  10. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

I ran through the steps and all checked out but when I ran ADprep from the disk it came back with an error relating to it being a valid command but ( I think) because the DC is running a 32 bit copy and the R2 disk is intended for 64 bit OS's. Problem is ive not got a copy of R2 32 bit with me but I do have a self extracting cab file of windows 32 standard. I may go ahead and install that now. Quick one, how do I get the exe cab file onto a bootable disk?

Cheers once again guys.

11. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Scrap my last lads. As I didn't have the R2 32 bit disk I ended up installing 2003 standard and went on to complete DCPROMO -

Cheers lads.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear its all sorted:)