2 SATA internal hard drives - which ones?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by derkit, Feb 24, 2008.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Looking for some hardware advice here - I've decided on using a pair of SATA 500gb hard drives to store my data and have a backup but am not really in the loop any more about whats good and whats not. In the past I've always gone for Seagate Barracudas in my machines - just wanted to know if theres anything else that should catch my eye?

Conditions:
    1) SATA, internal
    2) 500gb (not looking for bigger)

cheers :biggrin

Edit: just thinking about it, IDE cables only use to come with the mobo, as mine was a barebones build I'm guessing a need to by myself a pair of these also??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Seagate will be as good as any, I use western digital. SATA2 drives are cheap enough now.

You can buy the full kit so they'll come with the cable or get OEM drives and purchase the cable seperately.

You only need one cable, just make one a slave and one a master or if you have a good cable put it on cable select. master on the first part of the cable, slave on the second.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you are going for SATA you wont need an IDE cable, you will need a SATA cable instead. Also there isnt any master\salve config with SATA drives.

If you dont have any SATA ports on your mobo then you need to buy a SATA PCI card. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There is no master/slave with SATA

EDIT... oops - looks like great minds think alike Sparks :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

a bit OT but its a shame these didn't come in 500GB SataII [Link], although i find SAS pritty cheap nowadays

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. redcard

redcard Bit Poster

Also! Check how may SATA power connectors your power supply has. Mine only had one, so had to buy a converter such as this:
    [​IMG]

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:oops: don't know what I thinking when I put that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I have 2 SATA drives in my system; one Seagate Barracuda 200GB as OS partition and general use, and a Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB for games, etc. I Find them both to be outstanding!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

All my machines have SATA hard drives. My main machine has a Maxtor 250GB and Samsung 500GB whilst my gaming machine has a Maxtor 500GB and I have had no problems with either of them...SATA is definitely the way to go. plus less cable clutter 8)

On top of that DVD drives have now become SATA drives and my gaming machine uses a DVD SATA drive. So if I was to recommend a make I would say Samsung and I think the model u want is the Spinpoint one...:biggrin comes in 500GB

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the responses guys - I've checked the motherboard and it has 2 sockets for SATA so no PCI card for that one. I thought they may have been a difference in the power supply as well, but have only got one of the SATA connectors so will need to get at least a converter from a molex or a SATA splitter (if one even exists).

Seems to be most hard drives are much the same really - glad to hear good reports about them though :)

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The Samsung Spinpoint 500GB SataII drive is one of the fastest 500GB drives you can buy. Have seen it wipe the floor with other 500GB drives in a few group tests. It's no more expensive than the competition either.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I agree with Modey, get the samsung spinpoints. They are cheap and reliable, and pretty quiet to Im running 4 of them with no issues.

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well fellas, Modey and Mick you've sold me on the Samsungs - had a bit of a research and lots of people recommend them.

At the mo they're on at £67 from overclockers which saved me about £20 for the pair - not much but it all helps!

Thanks for the thoughts guys - decision made, now just the purchase to make :)

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Erm u might wana look here mate :biggrin

and just to add I mentioned the Samsung Spinpoints first lol :tongue

15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Noel - you did indeed suggest it first :oops:
    Sorry

Good suggestion though!

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

No problems mate :biggrin just glad to be of help

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Was more of a warm rather than glowing recommendation though Noel. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada