2 months study for 70-682

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by arnold, Aug 29, 2013.

1. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Hi all

With the deadline of the 70-682 being extended until January, I thought I'd take advantage of that and book the 70-682 for October, which only gives me a couple of months to study, with enough time for a re test after if necessary... I hope not though! From reading on here, the 680 and 685 aren't easy exams and I haven't given myself much time. Should have studied for this last year but had a baby and things got chaotic.

I've got the MS press books but have read they miss out a lot, can anyone advise the sort of content they miss so I can brush up elsewhere?

Wish me luck! October 24th is the date

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Certifications: 6x MCP, MCDST, MCSA Server 2003, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: None
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    This isn't the reply you were hoping for, probably...

Unlike some of the 'upgrade' exams that MS offer, the 682 has no curriculum - there is no press book and, consequently, no-one has made a video pack. The reason is simply that it seems to have been an afterthought, allowing MCDST and MCITP (Vista) cert holders to upgrade to a Win7 cert.

In effect it is 2 exams in 1 and you need to learn the entire 680 & 685 syllabuses to pass it successfully. They leave nothing out particularly, but do concentrate more on the changes to the technology that Win7 brought with it, if I'd have to choose something to study up on. I'd always get access to CBT or Trainsignal for their video courses too.

I cannot say that you haven't left yourself enough time to pass this exam, but having taken it myself, I'd say you've given yourself an up hill struggle.

To start, I'd say move your exam to maybe mid-Dec. This will give yourself slightly more time to study and still leave 6 weeks for a re-take.

What's your background and what previous Cert are you upgrading from?

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply (and the good luck!) I've got the 680 and 685 ms press books but I know these aren't going to cover everything, but I will just concentrate my efforts on the changes like you say and anything new i'm not familiar with. My background is over 10 years commercial experience mostly using XP, and have the MCDST, but also have the MCSA for Windows Server 2003.

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

The good news is that there is some overlap between the two courses, but they do look at things from a different perspective.

It is a well known fact that the 685-side is 'scenario based' and the exam questions are set as such (this doesn't break the NDA as there were on-line videos/mp3's available from Microsoft themselves with the trainer stating as such, but I could not say much more about it).

The end date, remember, is January 31st, so I wouldn't rush to sit the exam, as long as you give yourself enough time for a resit.

Also, please remember that, as an upgrade exam covering 2 courses, the exam itself is a 2-parter. You cannot go back to the 1st part once you start the 2nd AND you have to pass both parts to get an overall pass. To be clear on this - it is like saying that, although the overall pass mark is 700, you will NOT pass with an average of 700 if EITHER of the 2 parts scored less than this. So a 750 in part 2 will NOT make up for a 650 in part 1. And no, you will not get your results to either part until the end.

You probably know this, but just in case.....

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Actually I didn't know that, so thanks for the heads up! Is the first half of the test 70-680 and the second half 70-685, or do they merge the questions together? Also when did all this NDA come into effect as I keep reading about it on here, yet I'm sure in the past people could openly talk about the exams and what they feature.

6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

No, the NDA had always been in place, although may change over time. It is there specifically to stop anyone from sharing specific info on the q's.

The split is 50/50, with each half being the 680 & 685 sections completely separate. They are not necessarily given with the 680 section first though, I hear.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

I PASSED :D!! Managed a score of 966/1000!!

I've been studying like mad, reading the official MS press book (which is full of mistakes) and spending a lot of my working time watching the professor messer videos (these are brilliant) and just spent ages studying stuff I wasn't too sure about, and actually found the test quite easy! A lot of it was obvious, but it also helps we've recently done Windows 7 deployments at work too. Really thrilled!

Not sure if this exam pass now means i'm an MCSA of Windows 7 or an MCITP but waiting to see what ends up on my transcript.

RichyV likes this.
  8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Congrats - grrreat score..!

Oh, and as it's before Jan 31st, you'll get both the MCITP & MCSA certs...

9. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

Thank you :) I checked the transcript and i've been awarded the MCITP and MCTS, so called Microsoft to query and they said you don't get an MCSA for doing the upgrade exam! :(

10. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Well, to be fair to MS, they never promised it would now count towards the MCSA. BUT, it has done so in the past.

So, it's another example of a 'silent' change - which seems to be happening more and more of late...

Apologies for the incorrect info though. :(

11. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. arnold

arnold Bit Poster

No need for the apology. I received an email this morning saying I had been awarded the MCSA, and it's now on my transcript too! The woman at Microsoft clearly got it wrong. Very happy now :D

Cheers again

13. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, that's what I pretty much expected (but didn't want to say so just in case it had changed..!).

These exams don't actually earn you the MCSA, but as MS have withdrawn the MCITP so rapidly, they get 'upgraded' to corresponding MCSA for all Sever and Client certs...

Congrats!! :D