2 Exchange Q's

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by helios, Jan 9, 2006.

1. helios

helios Bit Poster

So, it total geek form, I'm loving Exchange. There's tons to learn, and I'm absorbing it like a sponge, and thanks for any help anyone can provide.

My 2 Q's...

Is there a way to open a users inbox through the System Manager, or any other process than actually logging in as that user?

Is there a way to log the IP address that connect to my POP/SMTP virtual servers?

thanks for any help!

Certifications: A+, Net+, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA:M
  2. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

You can't open a mailbox using system manager, you can give yourself permission to another mailbox and add it to your own mail profile saving you logging as that user.

As far as logging addresses that access your smtp/pop servers you might be able to see IP's by turning the logging up (not sure) or use a packet sniffer such as ethereal http://www.ethereal.com/ and filter packets coming inbound by the releavent ports e.g 25 and 110/995. You can view sessions on your virtual servers in system manager/protocols/<protocol>/current sessions - any that look iffy can be deleted and you also have the option to deny access based on IP should you so wish

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  3. helios

helios Bit Poster

thanks for the suggestions, I'm downloading ethereal as I write. I really just want to keep track of the IP's that acces my server. I know that I can check the IP as they're accessing the server, but as soon as they session ends, the IP is lost, but I'm hoping that this program will be able to supplement that.

thanks again!

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

have you thought of using the arp command? :(

5. helios

helios Bit Poster

I was hoping for some way to log all the IP's so I can leave the server and examine the previous connections when I get back...