2 days work and still no joy!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuPeas, Sep 13, 2007.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

run memtest already.... the floppy drive or usb version.

I had a similar problem and it was incompatble RAM (last time i trust scan.co.uk bundle offer).

2. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Hi GBL.
    The memory was purchased as a matched pair (DDR2). the RAM is in dual channel mode and in correct slots (The problem is worst when using both sticks, but the windows installation also fails, although further through the process, when using a single stick in single channel mode).

Ive downloaded and run MemTest86, and the memory fails every time for the different configurations of memory (single dimm in different slots, and then trying both dimms together), although it seems to fail at different points in the testing procedure each time. :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Thanks again Grim. I think that, as its a brand new MOBO, i'll ask the tech dept at the shop what they think about updating the BIOS

4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

For anyone thats interested, I finally got it working. Turns out that a failure in MemTest need not mean that the physical memory is damaged. After another two memory pair replacements with the same outcome, one of the more silent techs said to try increasing the DDR2 voltage by Half a volt.
    SUCCESS AT LAST. :D