2.5" laptop HDD question ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

My laptop hard drive started doing the tick of death today, before finally giving up the ghost today (everything is backed up, so we're OK there, thankfully). I'm just browsing online to price a replacement, and my question is hopefully quite simple - is one 2.5" HDD much the same as another in terms of fitting, compatibility, etc, or are there any gotchas I should look out for ? I know the standard differences with sizesm speeds cache, etc - just wondering about fitting.

Should have said I have done very little in terms of working with laptops, so excuse my ignorance, and thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Any self-respecting tech and member of this site would have thought to mention it is an IBM Think Pad 600 series Type 2645, at the very least 6 years old, and most likely more.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The simple answer, in my previous experience, is yes they are compatible.

That said I've only ever changed hard disks in three brands of laptop, HP/Compaq, Toshiba and Sony. All of those were compatible so I can't see why others wouldn't be.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The only caveat that I can think of is the thickness of the drive. My laptop will only accept *very* thin drives.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sounds good, thanks guys - I edited my original post to actually include some info about the laptop itself. DOH !! :oops:

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If it is *that* old you may have problems with very large modern drives. But Thinkpads are a whole subject of themselves!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, I've just managed to remove the old one - it's a 10.05 Gb 4200rpm IBM Travelstar, approx 10cm x7cm x 1cm. This seems to be OK, and I think I have found the perfect replacement HERE

Look OK ?

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

They are pretty much all the same mate. My advice to you is to throw away the screen then the keyboard then the rest of it but keep the hdd. You can then take the hdd apart and make a hanging work of art from it. Then go treat yourself to a new laptop.:tune

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

On a budget mate, as always :)

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Am I safe to assume that in this instance, EIDE and ATA specs will both be acceptable ? The drive I ended up buying was THIS ONE

Please tell me I haven't got the wrong one ... :oops:

10. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

As far as I am aware all laptop drives should fit in any laptop... the only difference is the connectors, as some of the newer laptops have SATA type connections rather than IDE...

You should be fine!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for all your help, Guys. Prob solved better than expected. :)