1st week at new job

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, Sep 24, 2011.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well on Monday i started my new job. I decided to quit being a factory site It due to the poor pay, bad hours and phone calls on weekends when i had already said i wouldnt be available etc. I managed to get a job refurbishing PCs with a company 10miles away. They buy systems from companies and refurbish them for resale or scrap the knackered ones. This includes desktops, servers, laptops and MACs but mainly all systems are either Dells or HP units.

So i thought in teh CF tradition, i'd do a quick 1st week new job post.

On Monday turned up, got sorted out with Hi Vis and started on my first PC strip down. And basically thats all i did for 3 days, remove Hard disks for wiping and make sure the cases werent badly damaged etc. I did have to figure out why a couple of PCs didnt work, and managed to get a few of these ina working state by swapping Ram or PSUs etc from other non working systems. Did this on over 200 PCs! Then Thursday and friday i had to list some parts and servers on ebay for resale. And thats about all tehre is to my job (well so far). The highlight? Having 2 PSUs go BANG! on me within an hour of each other! New trousers time that was!

The guys i work with seem ok and its a bit of a laugh, very easy going and less stressful than the factory IT. Plus the pays better. So i get a good wage doing something i like, what more could i want?

So if anyone wants a MAC G5 case, DL360 serevr or anything else keep checking ebay, we'll probably have some listed over the next few weeks. And if you want something in particular just PM me and i'll keep and eye out then ask the boss what price they want for it.

Oh and on a side note, i signed up for the OU T155 Learning Linux module last night (hoping i made deadline as it was today and they've taken teh money). I wanted teh Microsoft server technology module tehy do but the was issues with my finacial aid application so it didnt go through.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Game on twizzle - sounds like you're enjoying it way more - congrats and a good starting week!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate. :biggrin

Some of the support contracts I work on have hardware support on some older kit so I might fire you a PM if anything comes up.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Sure, go ahead when needed mate. If we have anything you need i'll try to get a good price for you. After all we gotta sell the stuff some how. :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,