1st post

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by livingwater, Jun 9, 2010.

1. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

Hi folks this is my first post. I have spent a few days finding my way around and have found the information on here very useful.

About me: I am a 46 year old secondary school teacher who does not want to teach any more (personally I would prefer to wash up in a restaurant). I would do a plumbing course or something but I do have a bad shoulder that I smashed in an accident which would make very physical jobs like plumbing probably too difficult. Another option of course is getting into IT. From reading the threads I see that many do not like TPs (greenbrucelee for example) and recommend the self study route. I do not have a problem with self study, but what attracts me to the TPs (NITLC to be precise) is that they offer help with recruitment. With my age and everything I was thinking that a TP (NITLC) may be a better option, even though I am paying over the odds. I also looked at CT but from reading the posts I got the impression they did not have such a good reputation. I only signed up for CompTIA A+ and Network and would probably self study if I took it further. Only time will tell whether I made the right choice

LW

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well, firstly welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately you are likely on due course to discover that their 'help' with recruitment is a shoddy promise at best.

That said, at least you have done some research before making a decision. Undoubtably you are in for a barrage of 'OMG Just Self Study', but ultimately the choice is yours. Its your money, your life, so just ignore them. Provided you do your research then there really isnt any issue with whatever choice you make.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Welcome and good luck! For my career change I wasn't given a choice. I have a MS in engineering (and more service than you...) but I'm turning my back on all that and trying the computer route. I hope you succeed!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  4. Babrial

Babrial Banned

hi:

i am also new at this site. and i am glad to be a member of this community.

Certifications: CCNA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

So what did you teach and why have you had enough?

Starting out in I.T. you will earn little when compared to the teaching salary + final salary pension. Have you not thought about moving up the chain at all? Perhaps getting involved with the techies at your school or something? Perhaps Network Management in schools / etc.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums and good luck with a career change!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure