1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Line web based support certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Deshi, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Deshi

Deshi New Member

Hi All,

I am in the process of requesting funding for a computing certification for my colleague to complete. She works in 1st line Technical Support and is looking to advance her skills in computing.

Although the company provides a small number of downloadable programs, the majority is web based. Starting certifications such as A+ or Windows OS Fundamentals appear to have too much emphasis on supporting desktop applications and it's unlikely the company will support funding because of this.

I have considered both 'Microsoft MTA - Networking Fundamentals 98-366' and 'CompTIA Network+'. Unfortunately they appear a little too advanced so I was wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions? Ideally I'm looking for a certification that provides a basic understanding of networks to assist with supporting web based applications.

Any advice is appreciated! Many Thanks
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I guess you may need to elaborate on exactly what she will be supporting as "1st line Technical Support"

I'd go on to say that 1st line support generally would involve a CompTIA A+ / Network + - or an MCTS in Windows 7, if this is too advanced, i'd say that maybe it shouldn't be classed as a technical support role, as this is about the most basic you can really get with technical support.

What sort of system support is involved in the role she's doing?
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Deshi

Deshi New Member

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the lack of information!

The majority of the tasks involve password resets / general use of software / .csv formatting. However, there are times when the applications will fail to load and require some basic requests to be made to the user. Such as; clearing web cache, adjustments where file types may be being blocked (content filtering / active directory permissions), updating browser/flash versions etc.

Hoping that by gaining a general understanding of the above concepts as well as things like proxy servers may help in the current role, and future career opportunities.