1st Line Support advice please ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jakamoko, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Guys,

Just been called for interview at short notice for the above position (thanks again, Phil :thumbleft)

Its a co providing call centre support for an ISP (don't know which one), and I'll need to know a good bit about configuring home broadband set-ups. As I don't have it myself, can anyone recommend any good links to "all-you need-to-know-in-one-page" sites ?

I'll check practically-networked - always a good site, but wondering if any of you had come across any others recently.

Cheers all :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First of all, thats great news Gav all the best.

Try this link. its to my ISP's help pages. All the links are down the right hand side for the ADSL help but there are alot of pages on other topics.

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?SIkWhoPpcf0=

HTH.

GOOD LUCK

Si
    :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good Luck Gav

Read up on modems if you are working for an ISP

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck, Gav. You know what this means though, don't you? If you get this job, you've got to give up the life of being a veggie truck driver. :eek: :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Try www.ADSLGuide.org.uk they are quiet a goo site, might be able to help you .

Good luck by the way, and I agree with sandy, read up on modems too, trouble shooting and the like. :gaz

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks a lot for you help and good wishes, Guys - I knew I could count on you :clap

I'll be checking those links tonight - just finished an ultra-quick dual-boot install of XP Pro on my main box. Suppose I can live with it, given that I expect a lot of people will now have it as their OS (WHY ???? :evil: )

Cheers again, Folks :thumbleft

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Gav,

Not professing to be an expert at all, but I have managed set up a home network with broadband router - what I am talking to you on now!

If I can help, then please shout.

8. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Sorry - BTW good luck with the job....

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When searching for a new laptop I wanted 2000 Pro, however I was amazed that virtually no comp/laptop sold came with 2000.

It only came with business packages like Dell's business part of the site.

I probably only saw a couple of laptops that came with Win2000, but they weren't suitable for VMWare.As I couldn't afford to buy another OS separately, I opted for XP Pro.

Anyway, just some thoughts.This did p me off though.

Why don't you ring up tiscali and just speak to somebody, ask what's required.I'm presuming that tiscali's not the one your going for, but I do know you use them.

I once rang up with a broadband query, and while I was on I got chatting to the support person about working for an ISP.

Worth a try.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Dave - thats the sort of scenario I imagine will be the main area I'll be dealing with. Dial-up, too, obviously, but I'm fairly cool about that (until Sandy starts firing questions at me :lol: )

Hopefully I'll find it as straight-forward as you're all making it out - I'll check the links shortly.

Who knows, if all goes to plan, then broadband could be mine sooner rather than later :P

EDIT:
    Good point actually, Flex - I've dealt with them before - good support. But knowing my luck it would be Tiscali, and I'd get busted for canvassing :cry:

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Fantastic news Gav! Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nice one Gav. Good luck :)

AJ