1st Line Phone Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 23JMZ07, Mar 17, 2011.

1. 23JMZ07

23JMZ07 New Member

Hey,

I was interviewed in person today and that went ok I think. Aparently I am not chatty enough but that is somewhat down to nerves I assume. The HR lady wanted to know more about the CCNA yet did not know what CISCO was which caused some issues in so far as me having to explain things simpler than I would have liked to.

My main issue now keeping me from the job is the phone interview with the IT boss. Has anyone ever had a phone interview with a "skills test"? I feel pretty confident supporting friends and family in a wide range of issues but what sort of things would they ask in an interview for 1st line?

Well worried :S

Thanks

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've had a few of these before, they're generally going to be fairly simple questions if it's a 1st line interview - i very much doubt you'd get questions about cisco related kit/support if it's only a 1st line support role.

He'll want to know how competant you are with regular issues that arise in the company - depending on what applications and processes they use, it could be a whole range of different things.

He's also going to want to hear your personality - try to put the nerves to the back, and sound confident - always make sure you sound confident in what you are saying, and that you yourself beleive you are right. Don't try and blag anything, as if he's the IT boss he's more than likely going to know the answer to a question he's asking you if it's specifically IT related. i.e. How much ram can a 32bit OS utilize etc.

Was the IT boss not in the original interview?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. 23JMZ07

23JMZ07 New Member

Great Tips!

Na just a lady from HR, I think it was more to see if I am presentable, legal to work etc. I made the assumption to start with that she knew something about IT but clearly not.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ah ok - well you got the phone interview so that's a good sign!

Good luck for whenever it is :thumbleft

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Well if it makes you feel any better I had an interview recently with an IT consultant who owned his own outsourced IT management company with 12 years experience and had not a clue who or what CompTIA are/is.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Most of the rec agencies I have spoken to have no clue what CompTIA is either.

*Edit* All of the agencies I spoke to.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If there are really that many agencies out there who know that little about their target audience, it sounds to me like this is a great opportunity for some intelligent techs who want to start a recruiting company.

Be sure to send me my standard cut. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

A common technique for sales people is to stand up while on the phone and it could serve you well during the phone interview. There's plenty psychology written about this. Give it a go and see if it makes you feel more confident!

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

Unfortunately, even for entry level positions the person who has experience will get the job every time. So recruiters dont really need to pay attention to certs.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its not always about technical skills - she was trying to find out if you are the right person for the company

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, not necessarily. For example, I don't need someone with a bunch of server administration experience to do PC builds.

Recruiters don't HAVE to pay attention to certs... but GOOD recruiters WILL. Like I said, there's an opportunity out there for someone who wants to be a good recruiter.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

As already said do not try to Blag anything, just be yourself, if your the type of person they think will fit in, then you stand as much chance as anyone else. I got my job for being myself in the interview, My boss said my score in the technical test was very,very low :oops: I got the job because I was upfront and honest, they beleived I could be trained and would fit in. I had no qualifacations at the time, and beleive me, you would struggle to fill a postage stamp with the I.T stuff i knew at the time! Think I could manage a post card now :rolleyes: maybe lol

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

First of all, you can't know everything, so if the skills test presents you a problem you cannot answer, don't lie or try to work your way through a bogus answer. Be upfront but tell the interviewer that you have resources to find the right answer in a very short time, either via books, web searches, internal knowledge bases or knowing to ask the right colleague for tips, hints or answers.

I once had an interview over the phone for a company (they hired me) during which one admin asked me a question which I don't think he quite understood himself. It was simple, something to do about joining computers to a domain. But as I gave answers, he kept interrupting and saying things like "no, that's not what I meant" or "no, I'm looking for x or y".

It was confusing, but was not a deal breaker.

Anyway, he was a domain admin and just not up to the standard I would have expected. I suspect he cheated his way to an MCSE and some of the things he did in the AD forest was simple wrong and against recommended practices. I'm still baffled how a company of that standing coulda kept him so long. I suspect nobody called him out on his errors and very poor reactivity.

So these things happen. Don't be surprised if the interviewer is not technical but may try to come off as one. There's the good and the bad and I've also had very technical interviews which were fantastic (two especially come to mind).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM