1st Day Help Desk Analyst

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, May 19, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thought I would share with you all my first day in my first IT role.

The day started at 08:45am asking for the Help Desk Team Leader. Had the initial meet and greet and then shown where the fire escapes are etc.

Then was paired up with a Senior Help Desk Analyst who is my trainer for this upcoming week.

Spent most of the day learning the internal IT system them phone calls are logged on and how information is emailed out to clients and how you escalate calls.

Was able to listen into a couple of calls which where just password resets or account lockouts which needed resolving.

Think we will be touching upon the more technical side tomorrow.

The most suprising part of it (which I think I will find it hard to adjust to) is the following:

1. People have breaks.
    2. Everyone has times where they spend chatting or playing solitare or surfing the web.
    3. They wait for things to happen e.g. phone calls etc (this one might seem strange to some, but in all my previous roles you ALWAYS had to be proactive).

I have to say so far, things seem laid back and supportive, naturally, there is work to do, but being in this environment it will be alot easier to have the 'free time' available to progess my IT qualifications relatively quickly as long as I remain discaplined.

Will keep you posted when I go 'live' which will probably be on Wednesday.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like its going good so far.

My 1st line role was like this, time to chat/study, and I still don't understand the breaks/lunch break thing now - I'd rather work through or go home a hour earlier (which I do at the moment).

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, sounds like my first IT job.

Take calls, reply to emails between calls and when its quiet do some studying. Happy days! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Wish my 1st job was like that! instead stuck in front of the PC screen until lunch time and HAD to be doing something! awful environment.

In my current role its good to take breaks from the screen and just rest the eyes - would rather take a break then go home early... don't think i could go back to being glued to the screen!!!

Breaks also let you relax... and sometimes you can think more clearly and fix the problem quicker then being glued. Thats what i find.

Best of luck in the job mate! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The first line job I used to work in was busy busy all day, the phones never stopped ringing!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks craigie:thumbleft

It's always good to see what the role of a Help Desk analyst does. This is often a question asked on the forum and by posting your account of what happen on your first day. It gives a lot of new people entering IT an idea of what to expect.

So thanks for that:thumbleft:rocks Rep given:sunny

I hope the rest of the week goes well for you:biggrin8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+