1st and 2nd Line Support Volunteer Role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jamal, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jamal

Jamal New Member

Hi all,

I am writing to get some advice on this.

I graduated from Uni last year, with Computer Science and Networking Degree. Since then I been applying for lots of IT Support and helpdesk roles, but didn't get any job yet, and the main reason is that I don't have any IT experience, althought I have been working as a customer service assistant for the last 5 years. I have now decided to start looking for voluntary jobs to gain experience, I found this role IT Support Volunteer for a local charity organisation. I applied and they invite me for a good chat on this Friday.

They are saying that the meeting will be an informal discussion of your application. We will ask you some questions about your skills and experience and you will have an opportunity to ask us about the role. You are not required to prepare anything in advance

My question is why are they saying "'you are not required to prepare anything in advance"? how am I going to ask questions if I dont prepare?.

And what question will they ask me about my skills and experience although I don't have any IT related experience and what questions to ask on the day about the role?

And finally is this a good step to get into IT career?

Many thanks for your advices..

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Science
    WIP: ???
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Generally speaking in an interview you may be required to give a presentation to a panel, this is certainly the case for higher level positions.

They should ask you what would you do if you found yourself in this situation or that, how would you prioritise this and that? it's all about being aware of how and why things are done, knowing that if you have two calls come in at the same time which takes priority and why.

Just go in there, be yourself and learn from it, it's either your job to lose or it's an interview experience to call upon later down the road.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

how did you get on with this?

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  4. Jamal

Jamal New Member

I had the interview last Friday, and been told that there are still other condidate to interview and you will hear from us end of next week. They asked me what I know about Sharepoint and Norton Ghost. I have no real world IT experience but I know about these applications, and that's why I went for a voluntary role to gain the experience and learn. They called me today to say that I was not succesful this time because I lack experience and some of the condidates have more exprience on 1st line Support and the fact that I have part-time job.
    I don't understand why someone with 1stline experience want to do full-time voluntary role. I thought you do voluntary just to get experience.
    Now I am disappoint that i can't even get a voluntary role let alone Paid IT Role.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Science
    WIP: ???
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Unlucky mate.

I know how it feels though. When I was trying to break in there was a voluntary position going in the computer shop in my area. I applied and went there the other day to chase my application. I was basically told to get lost in the nicer way. I thought: what the heck!?
    Few months later I was working full-time and they were still advertising voluntary position.

Good luck.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure