1st, 2nd and 3rd line support definition

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Tim1976, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Tim1976

Tim1976 New Member

Hi All

Can anyone give typical duties that 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support roles would invole. I know that this would vary from company to company but a general list would be of great help.

Thanks

Tim

2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hi Tim,

I believe this has been covered before on some thread from some time ago. Before i respond I'll say that searching the forum first is usually best as someone might have already the same question. With that being said, I'm in a typing mood... SO!

Line 1: Usually your typical helpdesk team. On this level it's usually very basic support over the phone to try and resolve issues as quickly as possible. Typical tasks involve mapping printers, resetting passwords, troubleshooting windows errors, etc.

Line 2: If Line 1 can't resolve an issue, they will escalate to Line 2 for further investigation. Line 2 (in my experience) has usually been desktop support and the sort. These guys will be the ones who will solve more advanced issues, and will sometimes go out to the customer to attempt to resolve the issue. Most basic issues can usually be solved on this level.

Line 3: Again, if both lower tiers can't resolve an issue, it gets escalated. Level 3 will be senior technicians, network/systems administrators in some cases. Issues that get pushed up to level three are advanced in nature, and are generally not run of the mill. Things handled on the server side (exchange mailbox restores for example) are usually handled on this level.

It goes without saying that this structure can vary from tier to tier. Sometimes you will be in a role that will encompass multiple tiers, but generally the responsibilities of the tiers remain the same with variations depending on the needs of the organization. Hope this helps, and remember that google is your friend!?!? Cheers!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
    malik06 likes this.