162 Configuration Change

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Sep 14, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I booted up one of my Windows 2000 lab machines, heard two beeps (memory problems?) and was automatically routed to setup. Initially, I pressed exit and the machine when on to show me the OS menu (the machine dual boots to Windows 2000 Pro and Linux Red Hat...the Linux OS went toes up for some unexplained and uninvestigated reason...I haven't been too concerned since I'm blowing away all the OSes on both ancient IBMs in the near future), I selected "Windows 2000" and it finishes booting fine.

I applied SP4 (figured since I was hosing the OS anyway, I'd apply it to see what happens) and restarted...same issue. Wassup?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Anything showing mischief in Device Manager, Trip ?

Sounds like something's changed comfiguration ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I did a google on this is the model a 6382/S, 6384/D, or 6387/T's ?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

What's the partitioning of the machine? POST beeps can be somewhat different dependant on your BIOS maker, have you checked their sire for the exact code? Could it be a VGA problem?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I found the link as well. Two beeps usually indicates some sort of memory problem (assuming my memory is correct) but it's become, at least, temporarily moot. I took down the two old IBM lab machines and put up my dell. I posted a brief description of "Abraham" in the hardware forum and my plans for it. The IBMs are resting comfortably in the garage after over two years of faithful service. I will eventually bring out at least one to serve as a Linux router/firewall, but that's a long term goal.

Sorry to post a problem and then abandon it, but the difference between morning and night is dramatic. The office has a much sleeker look with three dells (family, lab, and laptop) on board. I still have the micron up since I'm having trouble configuring Outlook on the family machine to receive e-mails. I'll call the ISP in the morning to get a tech assist.

Thanks for the responses.

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

We have the same machines at work and the 162 errorpoints to memory, this usually only happens if you have changed/removed/swapped a memory stick, could the machine have had a knock at some point?, if it is working fine now then just ignore it.

Just out of curiosity would your IBM machines be 300 PL or GL machines

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

A distinct possibility. Also, sometimes memory sticks and other components just manage to work themselves loose over time. I recall Sandy's beloved computer was declared DOA until it was discovered that the CPU was loose. A quick reinsert and it came back to vital life again. I'll check the inside of the beast when I drag it back in. Thanks for the "heads up", Derek.