16 years old and MCSA/MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by certking, Jul 6, 2009.

1. certking

certking New Member

Hello Everyone , I am new on here , and firstly i would just like to Say Hello to everyone.

I Want to go into a career in I.C.T. and i am considering Studying for a MCSA/MCSE in my Spare time .

Firstly is it worth it ? How long do you believe it will take me ? and also , would you be able to out line which topics are in the MCSA, and which ones are in the MCSE.

Hope to hear from you all .

Thanks

CertKing

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Cert Forums. I'm sure one of the lads will answer you, I'm up the wall in work!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Hi welcome to the forums

sorry for the pun but Certs are not King, experiance is king.

Its highly recommended that for any cert that a certain level of experiance is gained beforehand.
    But don't worry a good path for certification for example Comptia A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE would mean that you could gain this easily following this path whilst you enter the industry from the bottom and work your way up.

Experience , people skills and business skills are becoming more important than technical skills alone from an employers point of view.

Also as your young it may be worth looking into apprenticeships, although they dont pay well, but hey if your still living with parents etc may not be such a burden.

PS have you also looked into college and university first?

I don't think jumping from school straight into a MCSA/E will do much for employment prospects

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you're serious about stayin around here you might wanna ask a mod to help change your name.

Your current one has some rather unfortunate connotations.

Its good to see keen young people interested in the profession, but really you'd be better off looking into A-levels and then a degree in general. The MCSA/MCSE are professional qualifications for people already working in the industry.

It would probably be a good idea to introduce yourself or complete your profile, people are more likely to help you out if they can put a name to a face so to speak.

For example A-levels are an english qualification and you could be from anywhere worldwide, therefore altering my advice.

6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Since we don’t have any background, I’m guessing at 16 years of age you don’t have much work experience. You state your goal is MCSA/MCSE but how do you plan to achieve this?

I’d suggest, you take it easy on the certs and concentrate on the experience. It doesn’t mean don’t get certified, just get them as you obtain the experience to understand and apply the knowledge.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At this point in your career? No. At some point, yes, it'll be worth it, but not now. The MCSA is designed for people with 6 months administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server environment - not just 6 months in IT or studying IT, but 6 months actually administering servers - and that's not something you're likely to be allowed to do your first day in IT. The MCSE is even more advanced - Microsoft recommends 12 months of server administration experience before pursuing it.

I would recommend that you pursue some solid entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonMichael

I would wholeheartedly agree with this, as his username is a source for dumps.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Hello "certking" and welcome!

If your age is really 16 and you are now considering a career in IT, I think the best route would be starting with an entry-level certification such as the CompTIA A+ followed by CompTIA N+.

If I am also correct, you are stating you have no solid experience or knowledge in IT, so that would be more sensible.

You can find information about the CompTIA certifications here:

A+ http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

N+ http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/network.aspx

I think to start that would be a very good stepping stone. :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The MCSA and MCSE are professional certifications that are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities and not a substitute for them. Without the relevant experience, alot of IT managers (including myself) will disregard them. You can read the article I posted about this here.

If you want to start of with professional certifications (at least for the support side of IT), then I would recommend starting with the A+ and the Network+, these two certifications will give a strong base on which to build upon. And forget about the higher level certs until you've built up your experience.

Apart from that, if you're still going to continue in education follow the ND->HNC/HND-> degree route. But if you're going to leave school this year and get a job, look into the NVQ programs - alot of them will incorporate a few professional exams.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. certking

certking New Member

Hello Everyone , Thankyou so much for all the info given , it is much appreciated. I did not think my Name on here would cause such a problem , its just a name i thought of , as the Name represents what i want to be one day.

If it bothers everyone so much , Can a moderator or admin , change it for me please .

Thanks

CertKing

12. techno

techno Bit Poster

Hello dude.
    I'm 18 and ive been through this crap. I hated school. got **** GCSEs. Got in at a college doing Software Devolopment. Lets just say the courses colleges offer as a btec national diploma are poo. Depending on how experienced you are. I was lucky in as ive been working in IT since 14 for a small repair shop. Now running the IT side of the business. I gave up on the software dev course after a year. It was absolute turd. One lesson of stuff you want and a whole week of other crap. Now im not saying there not worth doing, if youve not had experience its a good basic way to go. At my work ive done a NVQ Lvl 2 in IT Practician. Partly because of my experience and 2 weeks of hardcore cramming i got MCTS Vista config.

Zenos acadamy would be a good choice for you. I've got a interview with them weds.
    Google them and youl find that you can do a 5 month stint all paid for and earn
    NVQ LVL 3 ITP
    MCDST 2x Microsoft Exams
    A+
    N+
    ADITP
    Keyskills.

Really good offer also you can get EMA plus up to £10 Day Travel.
    Chris

Certifications: MCTS X 4, MCITP Consumer Support
    WIP: 70-271, 70-272 im on a break
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

or you could get the books yourself and ask for help on here if you get stuck and save yourself the inevitable cash payout that always comes along with these things.

CertKing the reason why there was some concern over your name is that it could be misconstrude as a ruse for a well know infamous braindump company.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I second Zenos.

I went there last year it is well worth it. And more importantly free. I think at your level it would be tough to even learn A+ on your own so you'd benefit from someone actually teaching you it.
    And more importantly... ITS FREE

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  15. BosonMichael

Really? Then why are you still having trouble looking for your first IT job?

And a negative review about Fraser McKenzie... I'm smelling spam all over this one.

16. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would double check with them about the free part, we were going to use them for our IT Tech, and while the NVQ part was free thru the apprenticeship scheme, the other half of the program wasn't (the professional certifications, the diploma, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

It is free for 16 - 19 year olds as its government funded.

18. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

well the top post was nearly a year ago? "18-Aug-2008, 08:45 PM"

and i did have an interview at fraiser mckenzie the other week, i currently work part time and it seemed like a good idea untill i went to the interview.