120 watt CPU in 95 Watt Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by convan, Jun 14, 2009.

1. convan

convan New Member

hi all

i have just baught myself a cpu and motherboard now the thing is the motherboard spec is for a 95 watt max CPU i have a 120wat CPU:eek:. I have ab asrock n68s motherboard and a AMD phenom 9950 quad core cpu. what effect will it have on my pc if i run the 2 together? wou;d the perfomance be alot less??
    thanks

convan

2. convan

convan New Member

sorry its a 125watt AMD CPU

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well looking at the motherboard's list of supported CPU's, it looks like that CPU is not supported. In the past when I've had CPU's which the MB doesn't support, it won't boot.

I would say either get yourself another CPU or get yourself another MB.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. convan

convan New Member

hi ken

sorry i did not mention that is is running and at the cpu speed it should wich is 2.6ghz. what effect wud it have? is it possoble to laod a new bios to support 125wat cpu?

thanks convan

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My guess.. if you run a CPU that draws more current (power dissipated in heat.. measured in Watts) than the board is designed for, you risk overheating the boards components and causing damage.

This is an electronics limitation and cannot be changed with firmware/software ie changes in BIOS version etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Watts is a measure of power, in current terms its :-

"By the definition of the units of ampere and volt, work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt."

So basically its volts * amps.

Parts on your mobo, probably mainly the parts which take part of the voltage regulator circuit will have set ratings for volts, amps and ohms. The combinations of these components will define the amount of watts the circuit can deliver.

Since voltages on mobos are fixed at 12, 5 and 3 volts I guess they deliver more watts by upping the current (amps).

Current in general generates heat when it flows through a material, extra current would generate more heat, in your case since this is hardware everything is hard wired, theres no easy way for you to change any of this. You'd basically have to change all the voltage regulator parts on the mobo. The principle of current generating heat is what makes an electric lightbulb (some of the energy gets converted to light), electric fire and kettle work.

Go and buy a newer 125 watt approved mobo. Basically make sure you have matched components.