11 hours to go

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ManicD, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

in 11 hours time i start my First job in IT, I'll be the Junior IT Tech at a school working with 2 other people.

Somehow although i'm only 20 and starting my first job, I'm far more qualified then either of the others who are both much older (late 30's). I know they will have alot more experience, and that can be more valuable than certs so i'm hoping to learn alot from them and regular use of my skills.

but anyway, yeah, 11 hours, i'm starting to get nervous, any tips or advice?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Seriously? Go and get yourself a warm milky drink and have a good night's sleep. They won't be expecting you to be able to walk on water on your first day, and it'll probably be mostly inductions and introductions. So take it easy tonight and relax, so you can look your best tomorrow :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don't be late.
    Don't tell the guys that you are far more qualified than they are.
    Don't tell the guys that they are much older than you.

:biggrin :biggrin

Seriously though, just chill and have a good first day. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

did you know theres a scientific reason why warm milk helps you sleep? something to do with amino acids...

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am kind of in the same situation as you, I am only 21 but I work with people who are 30+. The only difference, I've been at my job for about 18 months. My advice to you would be to listen well and learn as much as possible and if you make mistakes admit them. Other than that good luck tomorrow and let us know how it went.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good luck mate, hope it goes well for you :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck, as you're going to work in a school, I take it that they're using RM (CC3 or CC4) on top of Windows? We got rid of it ourselves at our place :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes on your new role and be courtesy with your new colleagues:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck on the first day at work. Don't forget the CF tradition of posting how the job's going after day 3. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I was in the same boat around 18 months ago, working with older people, more experienced people. My advise is try to be a sponge, and learn all you can :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck, let us know how you get on! :biggrin

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might be more certified, but you might or might not be more qualified. Being certified doesn't necessarily make you qualified. :)

In any case, learn as much from the other guys as you possibly can. A good mentor (or pair of mentors!) can be invaluable to your IT career.

I wish you the best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!