10 Ways to Blow the Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr.Cheeks, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Information abounds regarding what you should say in an interview. But it can be just as important to realize what not to say. It is also imperative to note that what you say say can be communicated through both your words and actions.

1. You arrive late to the interview.

To read the rest of the article, click here...

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, I failed number one on that list for my current role!

I was working at a customer site for my previous role and got delayed and ended up over an hour late for interview.

So that disproves that theory!

Also, the old receptionist was an absolute cow, and I'm pretty sure I was (ahem) 'less than pleasant' to her when i arrived, so that disproves number three as well... :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Zeb - this is for the "average" person - you my friend, are, IMO, waaaay above average (in your field) that is.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...surely you jest!

I know about 2% of my field inside out, 5% better than the average person, and 93% I have yet to learn. that makes me squarely in the 'average' bracket, I think!

I do, however, have a very helpful knack of impressing at interviews, and I have never failed to carry that through into a role yet - though there's always a part of me at every new job that wonders whether I'm going to get 'found out' at this one :biggrin.

I once read a really great interview with the actor David Duchovny, who basically said he was petrified at taking on roles because he feared that 'the next role would be the one where they find out I can't really act at all and am just pretending'. That sounds like me!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Zeb - I get just that feeling every new job I go to!

And all the 'vital' meetings I go to where I have only had time to skim the documents, only to discover that nobody else has looked at them at all!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+