10 certifications that actually mean something

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I came across this article this morning. Looks pretty interesting.

Take a look http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=211""target=_blank

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd take that with a hefty pinch of salt if I were you, alot of these articles are written by people with no real knowledge of the IT industry. :rolleyes:

The comments are more illuminating than the article...

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A good list, but it does depend on what area of IT you work in. No point being a MCSE if you're a DBA or programmer, it would mean practically nothing.

However number 10 is very vague and the entry after number 10 regarding Comptia certs is good, but then that would make the list more than 10... :dry

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That could be so, but we don't know who actually wrote the article. I posted it because I thought it was interesting to see what others have to say about the top 10 certifications. No doubt there is bound to be other opinions, in fact I think there should have been other certifications on that list that are beneficial to have.

Its just one authors opinion hopefully based on experience, research and knowledge, but its like you said we don't know if the author is certified him self or is in the business.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, the MCA "means something"... it likely "means" that you work at Microsoft, and you paid $10K for an exam that isn't likely to do you a great deal of good, considering the level of experience you need before attempting it. :rolleyes:

Further, as Ken states, an entry-level certification certainly DOES "mean something" to an entry-level tech, whereas a higher-level tech may not need the A+ certification as much. Conversely, an entry-level tech who gets an MCSE or CCSP will soon find how useless that certification will be to him/her with regards to getting employment... at least, for the first few years. I simply don't understand why the writer would basically relegate ALL of the entry-level certifications to a single sentence at the end of the article.

Overall, I'll have to agree with DMarsh... it's a pretty weak article... the author just threw a bunch of buzzword certifications out there with little regard to what we constantly drone about over here: experience level of the candidate, as well as their job aspirations. :thumbdwn

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We don't? I think we do...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Should of been more clear on that, but I meant as in if the actual author is certified, if she is an IT professional, etc. In other words if she is a qualified IT professional or she is speaking from just reading certain articles on the web, or magazines, etc.

8. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Guess you didn't recognize her name. go to amazon and do a search using her name.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  9. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Or you could go to her website. She's a MCSE 2000 & MCT, along with other creds/certs. It looks like currently she is a lecturer/trainer at a college. This article is from her point of view based on her experiences, her research, as well as her area (that's how I write anyway :) ).

Many people will agree and many people will disagree with this article, that's the world of IT...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I didnt do a search on her to be honest, but I have my own opinion on certifications like everyone else. Thats why I just wanted to know peoples opinion on the article.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well 4 of the certs are security certs because security is in vouge at the moment.

MCSE is the most widely recognised cert.

MCA is really only viable for microsoft employees, its virtually impossible to get outside the US, since theres a 10 year experience requirement i'd argue that its chicken and egg, do you get jobs because you are experienced or because you have MCA ? Is it worth the $10K ? I really can't see why anyone would put it in the list, the fact that nobody has one in itself does not make it valuable, thats like saying a Robin reliant's a good car cos no one drives one !

ITIL - Well auditing is also somewhat in vogue, gives the non IT people an excuse to exist and try to mess with stuff they don't understand...

Token linux cert, not sure why RedHat is better than LPI stuff.

Number 10 as has been mentioned is a cop out and only serves to illustrate the shortcommings of the article.

For those after an antidote I'd read this which was posted in response :-

http://www.rtek2000.com/Good/Why_we_have_to_fight_with_hypes.pdf

Personally I love this guys commnet : :D

12. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

If thats her opinion then fair enough, though her home web site is a joke, think she needs to go and sit a web design cert, would mean something to me:biggrin

WIP: LIFE
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...yay! I got 1/10!

Just nine more to do!

14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I haven’t seen any job that has asked for a Linux cert, just Linux experience. Perhaps things will change though.... :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs