10 alternative careers for recession-hit IT pros

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, May 19, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

10 alternative careers for recession-hit IT pros

The IT function is in the front line when it comes to job losses, so can refuge be found elsewhere?

RBS and HSBC are the latest in a long line of companies making swingeing cuts to their IT department headcount over the past 12 months, with economic forecasts suggesting things are going to get worse before they get better.

Amid all the uncertainty, it might be time to mothball those in-house IT skills and use the time (and hopefully the cash) that redundancy offers to take a new direction.

We’ve listed 10 tongue-in-cheek backup plans below, but feel free to write in and suggest your own.

Read the 10 alternatives here.

While it may have been created in a tongue-in-cheek way, judging by trends (eg ICT Teacher, Nurse, Data Protection lawyer) it does have a serious flavour to it. Hence why it's here and not in a different section.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Breaker

Breaker Bit Poster

I think it was that rotund sage, Peter kay, who said "Garlic bread - it's the future, I've tasted it". Ever since then I’ve been a garlic bread salesman on the side. I can’t say it’s that rewarding but it pays the bills. Failing that, a lavatory assistant at Westminster. You could get the latest scoop on who was using all the bog roll up and then sell all the juicy detail to the Telegraph for thousands! Hold the presses, I can see the headlines now "Telegraph delves into the true cost of MPs bowl movements".

WIP: A+