1 Year later

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Aug 18, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Well, I noticed in my profile that my join date is: 15-Aug-2007, so that's 1 year and 3 days and I thought it would be nice to give an update as to what I have gained in my time since joining. I guess it would be nice to be able to list what certifications I've gained in the year since finding and joining this forum but seeing as I've not gained any, I guess I'll tell you what else I have gained.

1. I SAVED ~£5,000 by not joining a training provider (ok so not a gain but I feel it's definitely worth a mention!)
    2. I started studying for A+ but found it wasn't for me, too basic/boring (yes I know, "if it's so easy you should just sit the exam" but please see Phoenix post regarding his Active directory exam)
    3. I landed my first job in IT, with no qualifications, thanks to the help and support of the CF members
    4. I started studying for MS exam 70-271/272, which is still a work in progress (thanks to numbers 5, 6 & 7)
    5. My girlfriend decided it would be a nice time in our lives and her career path to have a baby, which is due October the 5th :D
    6. I bought a brand new flat which is just awesome
    7. Landed my 2nd job in IT with a very nice salary increase and a massive travel cost/time reduction

Not a massive list but I'm very happy with my last year. I've obtained a good starting point for a career, over doubled my salary, got myself onto the property ladder and starting/started a family.

It's hard to believe this time last year I was moping around my house, whining about how I'm going nowhere and would never be able to get into IT.

- Dave

*EDIT* Oh oh oh, I forgot to mention: A job I actually enjoy. I don't wake up in the morning and think "how can I make it through this day, let alone the week, without feeling like I want to jump off a cliff". I don't even dread coming to work, I don't mind it at all. The difference this has made to my life I can't even explain, my whole mood is just SO much better all the time. I'm happy.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Great stuff. Congratulations on your new gaff and good look with the bambino :D

Funny, I too have been in IT for about a year and like you I hated my current job and wondered if I wasting my time applying for those IT jobs!

A year on, and it is good to have a job that is interesting and never a boring routine!

I'm sure there is a few people moping around right now wondering if they are wasting their time opening that book when they could be down the pub, trawling those recruitment websites when you could be with your other half or on the games console.

Just keep looking, and trying.

Sometimes, stuff works out for you!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  3. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

nice stuff Dave. We only go round once so might as well enjoy it while we are here right.

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Dave. A very fine first year. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I concur. Very well done. Glad to see you're enjoying it too :D

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good on you - nice to see how well you are doing! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's great to hear. I am glad you're doing well. All the best!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then there are probably things he could learn from that exam... just as there are things you could probably learn from the A+ exam, if you were to fail it. In fact, Ryan admitted to not studying much for it, as well as admitting to the fact that he SHOULD have studied for it.

Nobody said you didn't have to study... but the studying should be easy if you already know most of it.

Congrats on all the rest. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Thanks all,

I was posting more to show what is achievable when you're heading in the right direction but I appreciate the congratulations from all :D

Yes that's right. My point is that I know it and use it in my every day life but would fail the exam without studying, just like Ryan. I don't have the motivation to study a 1100 page book when it's only educating me on the odd thing.. I'll probably have to do it in the end as an elective for MCSA one day but for now my thirst for knowledge outweighs my hunger for certifications. Though by studying for MCP I'm getting both knowledge and certified :D

10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Congrats DaveMid - good to see someone doing well, an encouraging story. Unlike you I did shell out on a training provider £2500 for A+/N+/CCNA (this is 2-3 yrs ago now), BUT at least I got £500 back from them for exam fees plus £200 for coming second in one of their competitions, so it was only £1800! In some weird way I think I learned something from dealing with them, but now going it alone for MCSA its going pretty well. Passing a test is really such a small a subset of really knowing the subject - that takes time. I didn't think A+ was that easy.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Btw if you plan on using the A+ as an elective for MCSA you will also need the Network+. A+ and Network+ count as one elective towards MCSA.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea that's fine, I was planning to do the Network+ at some point anyway :D

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Congrats, sounds like you have had a great year mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house