1 Laptop & 2 NICS - would like no1 NIC for Inet & No2 NIC for LAN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by drum_dude, Feb 20, 2007.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all!!!

Thought I'd pick the brains of some of you experts on here - I've looked about for a way to do this but am having trouble wording it - so here's what I want to do:

I have a laptop with 2 NICs fitted, 1 is a wired NIC the other being a wirless NIC. Where I am at the moment we have a unrestricted DSL wireless internet connection, we also have a LAN with internet access but this can be monitored and gets congested. What I want to do is get requests form my laptop to the internet to use the wireless connection whilst all other LAN stuff email, intranet etc goes thru the wired NIC...

does that make sense??

I know its possibly something to do with the routing table but it's been a while since I did 70-216 as I've forgotten it all now :oops:

cheers guys!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The exact details will depend on the OS involved.

Under Windows you *remove* the gateway setting for the wired NIC and that should about do it.

Note that I am assuming that the WiFi and Ethernet are on two separate networks. If this isn't the case then life gets *very* hard.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use this exact same method at work to route via our test network (which has its own DSL) for net access

I run a simple script that lowers the metric of the wifi connection (by default the ethernet nic will always have a lower metric
    to do this i have to remove it then re add it

@echo off
    route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 metric 20
    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 metric 10
    echo "Routing Update Complete"
    echo "Press any key to continue..."
    pause

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

that's flippin great Ryan!!! Cheers!!!

Cheers Hbroomhall too - I tried that but we use DHCP on the LAN.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...