07 or 09 A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Shazz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Out of interest, which would you guys recommend?

i'm seriously considering the self cert route for an A+ now. As from what i've seen I just need to refresh my current knowledge then It should be easily passable...

On that note, does anyone recommend any core textbooks/guides to use along side the self study?

Certifications: BA (Hons),
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I guess that all depends on how soon you are looking at taking the exams. The current exams retire at the end of Feb. 2010, so if you are confident in passing both before then, go for it. If not, go for the 2009 version. I used the Mike Myers all in one book for my A+ and it worked a treat. The 2007 objectives seem to be a bit scarce on the CompTIA site but the 2009 objectives can be found here after filling in their form.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Well, I've been doing some basic reading and so far have found nothing new to me from the 07 ed. So personally, I think I could pass both before then. So much so that I'm possibly booking an exam pre xmas.

In which case, 07 is the way forward, or? Also, I assume there's minimal industry preference on one over the other right now?

4. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

A+ is A+. I passed mine ages ago (I think it was the 2003 objectives... :eek: ) and have never been asked which version of the A+ I had. If it is a major issue, there is a bridge exam to bring the 2007 cert holders up to 2009. This may be the way forward as in my experience at least, when new certs come out or are updated, training materials tend to be a bit thin on the ground.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  5. Shazz

Shazz Bit Poster

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if they cared or not!

I'll get on and book my A+ essentials asap then!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009