Problem with Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Arroryn, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Good afternoon y'all

My t'other half is having problems with a little wireless network he's got at his house, and I'll be damned if I know what's wrong.

It's been working fine for 3/4 months. Wireless D-Link Modem/Router. This is hard-wired into his PC. His Dad uses the connection to access the 'net from around the house on his laptop.

Recently, the laptop can't see the network from around various areas of the house (where it previously worked). When you search for local networks, it can detect others in range. When you take it into the same room as the Router, it can detect the network, but connecting takes a long while, and it spontaneously drops connection.

Now, I know we've experienced some humid weather recently, but I can't see how the change is environmental. His house isn't full of gadgets, and there are only 2 other wireless networks in the detectable vicinity, so I don't think it's overwhelming traffic. The D-Link self diagnostic system seems to report a-okay.

Can anyone recommend any steps to take to isolate whether the problem is with the Wireless hardware on the Router or the Laptop? Or provide any other ingenious suggestions?

As a reward, beer will be proffered. But I need the network to work first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

you could try and be a bit more closer to the access point . The radio signals can be unpredictable at times. Try the usual spyware and virus scans etc. Reset the wireless router , somethimes that works.

The problem with radio waves as ive learned over the months is that they can be as you say unpredictable. When you get your diagnostic tool up are you letting the manufacturer connect you or are you letting windows connect you, ive found that this is a way for it to go belly up as well.

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is there any encryption on the router? if so turn it off and try it.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps there is a driver update for the wireless card in the laptop?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say this is more than likely the cause of the problem. Wireless home networks are on the increase all the time. 2 years ago there was only my network and another in my range. Now, there is 6!

If you are using the software (opposed to XP) to manage the wireless NIC, i would use the lock facility to tell the NIC the MAC of your WAP so it will only talk to that. It might also be beneficial to use another channel.

Best of luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Arroryn

Thanks for your answers guys.

The laptop is still tempermental; it drops the connection when I'm sat next to the router with it.

There seems to be only 1 other network in range.

Haven't tried the encryption - I'd tried the other standard things. Will have a go at that. Resetting the router doesn't fix; it seems to be a more long term problem.

Drivers are a real issue possibility, if they need updating. The problem has me stumped because the whole thing has been working fine for months.

The PC hard wired to the router is running XP X64. The laptop has XP Home running with SP2. Could an update on either have thrown the other out of sync?

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Are you using a wireless card or is it built in to the Chipset i.e Centrino? What Wireless router/AP are you using and do you know the firmware?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Arroryn

Will come back with answers to that in the morning; the router is now in the wrong County.

Thanks for all your answers so far!!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also it could be interference, you could try moving the router, a few feet can make a difference or changing the channel :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Arroryn,

Here's what I understand of your situation based on the given information:

Internet Service Provider: Unknown
    Internet Service Provider Networking Device: Unknown
    First Networking Device: Wireless D-Link Modem/Router
    Computer 1: Wired PC to D-Link Modem/Router
    Computer 2: Laptop
    Laptop Wireless Card: Unknown

Situation: Wireless worked once upon a time, but no longer works reliably.

Questions:
    1. What is your Internet Service Provider technology?
    2. What is your Internet Service Provider Networking Device?
    3. What model is the D-Link Modem/Router?
    4. Is your wired PC to the D-Link Modem/Router working reliably?
    5. What make and model is the "wireless card" for the laptop?
    6. What operating system is running on the laptop?
    7. Has there been any new radio devices purchased and installed in your dad's house? e.g cordless digital telephones
    8. Has there been any new radio devices purchased and installed near your dad's house? e.g. next door neighbors.
    9. Can you ship beer internationally to the other side of the pond? :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Arroryn

Okaaay. Answers to some questions.

1. The Modem/Router is a D-Link G604T
    2. The ISP is Freeserve (Wanadoo, Orange, whatever)
    3. The hard wired connection is faultless 8)
    4. The Laptop is running XP Home SP2. WI-FI capability is all manufacturer based. From a HP Pavilion ZD8000, 3.2 P4. The Wireless is a Broadcom 802.11b/g (according to Device Manager.)
    5/6. No radio devices have been added in the house. We can't really account for a few of the neighbours, but next door have not, and it's spaciously detached.
    7. If I can't ship the beer, I'll Paypal you for a crate of Bud 8)

12. Arroryn

Also the following from the D-Link page. Don't know if it provides anything to anyone knowledgeable.

Transmit
    MPDUs 0
    MSDUs 0
    Multicast MSDUs 552
    Failed MSDUs 0
    Retry MSDUs 0

Receive
    MPDUs 1971
    MSDUs 1971
    Multicast MSDUs 244
    FCS Error MPDUs 16964

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd try a cheap USB dongle type unit in the Laptop. This will eliminate whether the prob is with the current one.

However - I *suspect* that the problem will be either 1) the router WiFi is failing or 2) someone nearby has bought a video-sender or similar. These latter can cause havoc, and don't appear in the WiFi search panel.

EDIT - the line
    suggests the same to me - you have way more error packets than good ones.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+