MCSA Windows 7 to MCSA Server 2012 upgrade clarification(?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by RichyV, May 23, 2013.

1. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I have contacted Microsoft to see if I am able to get clarification on their upgrade paths once the MCITP's die...

The situation, as it stands, is quite straightforward:

Currently, to upgrade to the MCSA Server 2012 from the Client exams, only the combination of 70-680 & 70-686 is valid. This gains the "MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator" certification.

The separate combination of 70-680 & 70-685 currently gains the "MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician" certification and no such upgrade path to MCSA Server 2012 is offered.

The confusion will arise after January of next year (2014) when BOTH of these exam combinations will gain the "MCSA: Windows 7" certification and, currently, there is no explanation as to how MS will differentiate between the two, so this could lead to some confusion.

I will let everyone here know what reply I receive.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    JamesTaylor likes this.
  2. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

I know it's funny with the upgrade path of your MCSA win 7

680 & 685 MCSA WIN7 upgrade to MCSA WIN8 (70-689)

680 & 686 MCSA WIN7 upgrade to MCSA WIN2012 (70-417)

Once I've done my current exam I'm planning on doing both 685 & 686 exams so I can upgrade both ways.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
  3. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor Bit Poster

Hi RichyV,

Thanks for the clarification on the upgrade paths. I will stay tuned to your channel for the promised updates.

James

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Well, they have responded...

There will definitely be no distinction between the '2' different MCSA: Windows 7 certifications. So, at this point, it looks as if it will depend on the fact that you have a 70-686 exam listed in your transcript for you to take advantage of the upgrade exam to MCSA: Server 2012.

Obviously anyone can actually sit the upgrade exam, but you will not receive an MCSA: Server 2012 after it unless you have passed the correct exams (whether this is prior to, or subsequent to, does not seem to matter).

Personally, I think that this is a bit messy. At the moment MS can be very specific in saying "you need to have passed cert. MCITP X or MCITP Y or MCITP Z to be able to utilize the upgrade exam" soon it will be "you need to have passed exams '70-xxA & 70-xxB & 70-xxE' or '70-xxA & 70-xxD & 70-xxF' or '70-xxY & 70-xxZ' to be able to take advantage of the upgrade exam". Seems rather a long-winded approach...

They are looking into the upgrade paths for the 70-680/685 combo for me at the moment but, as Grim-83 has mentioned, it will possibly only be the Win 8 upgrade exam path.

I will continue to update when I have more information...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

OK, so definitely no upgrade exam will be available for the 680/685 MCSA: Win7 path (only able to upgrade to MCSA: Win8 from this).

But they do seem to be struggling a little with this - it may just be the fact that they are obviously a massive concern and every reply I get has originated from a different MCP support consultant. But none of them have yet grasped that, whilst the MCITP's are around, there is a distinction between the two tracks (EDST7 or EDA) which will be lost when they both become just MCSA: Win7.

So I will see what comes back from my latest query...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Clear as mud!

Hi again,

well, the plot has thickened and the water become more muddied...

Had a further reply again today which, in essence, said the following...

At the moment there are currently 3 Window 7 client certifications (OK, so there's actually 4, but I guess as the MCTS will not have any direct descendant in the new scheme of things, we'll allow that one to pass...). They are.

MCITP: EDST7

MCITP:EDA

MCSA: Windows 7

Now, what they are saying is that ONLY the MCITP: EDA has an upgrade path to the MCSA: Server 2012 (via exam 70-417). Which implies (although it was not spelled-out...) that, after Jan 31st when the MCITP is retired, there will be NO upgrade path from any Windows 7 route to Server 2012.

So, this would explain why M$ have decided NOT to differentiate between the two MCSA: Windows 7 paths but is still rather astonishing that sitting 2 exams now compared to the same two in Feb of next year will mean the difference between then having to sit 1 or 3 exams to earn the Server cert.

This, of course, is NOT (repeat NOT) set in stone as we all know of M$'s rather confused approach to certification currently and things are rather fluid.

But I do feel that, until anything is officially announced, aim to complete the MCSA: EDA prior to Jan 31st of 2014 if you wish to take the upgrade path to Server 2012.

Of course I shall post again if any new info comes to light...

7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hmmm - further reply today and the news (as it stands, although they have now themselves said that this needs verification...) is not good.

To definitely be in a position to take the 417 as an upgrade exam from the MCITP: EDA, BOTH certifications have to be completed prior to the end of January 2014.

So, it looks as if, not only will the upgrade path be discontinued for those that pass the 680/686 combo after Jan 31st - but also for those that have passed these before the cutoff date but try to sit the 417 after this date.

Basically, the MCSA: Windows 7 (whichever flavour) will only be upgradeable to the MCSA: Windows 8 after this date.

I will post again once they send me their promised verification.

If this is true, I may well just skip 686 as there's little point in taking it, and just sit the 3x MCSA: Server 2012 exams instead...

8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

OK so, as of today, things have changed again - although for the better (it seems...).

The fact that the MCITP: EDA is being retired does not (for now at least) affect a candidate's ability to take the 417 upgrade exam.

So, we're now back to the original scenario, of having to complete both 680 & 686 prior to the 31st Jan 2014 to be able to utilise 417, but at least now, this exam can be taken even after this date.

I also had an 'on-line chat' with a representative that 'sort of' let slip that this combination may well have a new name after the 31st Jan - along the lines of "MCSA: Windows 7 - Enterprise Desktop Administrator" (whilst the 680 & 685 combination would keep the 'vanilla' "MCSA: Windows 7" moniker).
    This could well be the best news yet as it would seem to imply that there will be a continued distinction between the two and this, in turn, should allow MS to continue to offer the upgrade exam to Server technologies for those that have no Server certifications yet but do have Desktop ones. [This, of course, is somewhat speculation though].

I feel very strongly about this, as currently this is the only 'cross-over' point between the two, and I am very much hoping that it will continue to be offered as an option for MS Cert-takers.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013