MCSA - Window's Server 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by TheScotchEgg, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TheScotchEgg

TheScotchEgg New Member

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for a little advice/information regarding gaining my MCSA in Window's Server 2008.

Am I correct in saying these are the exams I will need to study for? [70-640, 70-642 and 70-646]

I've been working in IT for a couple of years now on a 1st line desk with a little desktop support added in and I want to progress to the ops team, I just don't know where to start, any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jake :D

WIP: Window's Server 2008/2012
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hi TheScotchEgg,

You are correct in saying that the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 are required to obtain the MCSA: Windows Server 2008, https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx

I've actually just started studying for my 70-640 this week and have been reading the Don Poulton book, http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-70-640-Exam-Cram-Configuring/dp/0789737914

This is also a BRILLIANT collection of videos dedicated for the 70-640, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpbQkW3kj4&list=PL77E3084DA334494D

They also have one on the 70-642, but nothing as of yet for the 70-646 :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. TheScotchEgg

TheScotchEgg New Member

Thanks matey,

some really helpful information there. I think I'm going to ease myself into server administration by going for an MTA.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong you get the MTA cert by doing one of the following exams.

349: Windows Operating System
    365: Windows Server Administration
    366: Networking
    367: Security

I would do the Window's Server Administration one [Server 2008]

Again, thanks for the info :)

4. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

This MTA stuff sounds interesting. Does anybody know if there are any plans for a Server 2012 version of the '365 exam?

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  5. TheScotchEgg

TheScotchEgg New Member

I'm not sure if they plan to create a one based on Server 2012, it would make sense though.

I've recently gotten the Microsoft Official Academic course book for MTA in Window's Server Admin Fundamentals, and whilst server is new to me its not that hard to pick up, & I'm a pretty slow learner, if your quite good with server's you may want to skip this one, I could see it being too basic for some people.

But it is aimed at giving a solid foundation on which you can build knowledge around Server 2008 so its good in that respect. The official book is split into lessons and at the end of each lesson there's a set of questions.

- true and false questions
    - Multiple choice questions
    - Essay style questions
    - Missing word questions

really worth it for anyone wanting to get into server support. :)

6. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

No, I'm a total beginner too. For the 70-680 course, I had to google-up dozens of guides and videos for anything server-related, so I wish I'd heard about MTA before I started.

I got the Sybex book last week, and I'll get onto to working through it later this week. I'm not sure I want to do the actual exam, I'm more interested in a bit of a grounding in Server. It's just a shame it's 2008 rather than 2012 :(

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  7. Elaina Petrick

Elaina Petrick New Member

Hi jake

You are right, this certification include these three exams, for the confirmation you can check Microsoft certifications information page on this site "pass4suretest". I had also consulted this for getting prepared for this certification exams.

Certifications: Microsoft MCSA Windows Server 2008