Passed 70-646

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by kevicho, Jan 3, 2014.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

By some miracle (or rather choosing to have no social life over XMAS) I managed to scrape through the 70-646 exam first time with the perfect score of 700!.

My only study material was the MSPRESS 70-646 second edition book which I must admit I enjoyed reading, and doing some labs based upon the books.

I think it was useful having the previous exam fresh in my memory also, revisiting the first MCSA 2012 exam would also have been beneficial.

The exam contains scenarios which I'm not fond of, due to not having a good technique and flitting between the questions and the scenario.

Finally I had to travel all the way to Oldham for this, the test center there was really good, hopefully the person who was going there on the 30th from the Isle of white(or man cant remember which lol) passed also :) .

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Well done on the pass! So is that the MCSA done then? Congrats either way! :beers2

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yep MCSA 2008 in the bag. Next challenge is to regain the CCNA I let expire. If I keep up the work ethic Hopefully ill have it done by End of January

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  4. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Congrats on the pass and cert! I'm studying for this cert at the mo also, only just started though so currently studying 70-640.
    Any tips or hints would be gladly accepted!

I'm in Yorkshire so looks like I'll be travelling to Oldham aswell when the time comes!

Cheers
    Adam

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Thanks all.

There are test centers in Leeds, Sheffield and probably York, so Oldham is probably further away.

Study wise I would suggest using TechNet articles, MSPress books, maybe CBT Nuggets, if you can afford Measure Ups they are worth it and also setting up your own home lab.

You can google for 70-640 study resources techexams.net usually have threads with links to relevant tech articles

7. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Hi Kevicho,

What order did you do the 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 in?

I'm considering starting with the 70-642 just wondering if you (or anyone else) had any preferences?
    Such as one book might relate to a service on another book but if you haven't' read it you wouldn't know.

Thanks

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  8. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Kevicho - Yeah just noticed there's a test centre in Leeds that looks handy, looking at taking the 640 in May I think

ClassicD - I've started with the 640 but having looked I think you could probably just as well start with the 642 as well. Suppose it might depend on your level of background knowledge.

I bought all three MS Press Books at the same time so luckily I had the resources there to use if I needed to. So far I've only had to look into the 642 book a couple of times for tidbits on DNS, IPv6, etc. Otherwise the 640 book is pretty concise, especially if backed up with TechNet articles as Kevicho says.

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646