VCP-510 or VCP-550?

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by AvalonX, Apr 11, 2014.

1. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have about 3 weeks to take a class for the VCP. I found that classes (except for the self paced VMware.com course) for 5.1 are drying up. On the flip side there really are no materials available for 5.5. What do you guys think is the correct path? With the new recertify rules, its 2 years either way from certification so the version doesn't matter.

Thanks for the help.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What are you stronger in? I did mine in 5.0 rather than 5.5 but will be doing VCAP 5.5 as thats the way we are heading. With regards to the 2 year thing, give it time because there is a lot of pressure on the 2 year thing, this is both internally and externally.

Also bear in mind that VMware are aiming at a 2 year major product release cycle, 5.x and 5.5 were the last two years so expect 6.x to release this year at VMworld USA so your two year renewal in this case isn't as much a hardship if you expect to upgrade to 6 anyway.

Also worth noting that sitting the DCA refreshes the 2 year cycle as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Honestly I am not stronger in either. I have some hands on and have been a systems admin for 15 years or so. A lot of the training centers have dropped the 5.1 course. I am starting a new job and thought I could at least get the class done since there wont be much if any time off the first year. My thoughts were there are a lot more materials out there for 5.1 so it might be an easier path. I dont even know if they are changing the exam format at all for the new version.

4. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, don't forget that if you sit a 5.5 course now, you might not sit your exam for 6 months, by which time more and more resources will be available. I'm not saying go for 5.5 over 5.1 but that hopefully soon the materials will be easier to get hold of. I sat 5.1 2 months ago but that was what I had the most experience working with.
    If you're equal on both I'd say find a course thats easy for you to get to because you can't go far wrong with either course.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Actually it became even easier than that. Late Friday VMware posted a 50% off for the self paced class on 5.1. Since I am paying out of pocket its a no brainer. Comes with a voucher as well. Thanks!

7. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Do you happen to know if this is still the case and do you have a link?

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  8. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  9. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Sorry to bump my own post but I have been taking the 5.1 on demand class from VMware (which is terrible) but it was half price. At the end they make you take a test, 75 min, 50 questions to complete the course and get your voucher.

In the meantime, I see how in 5.5 they have shifted to the web client. Since my voucher would count towards that exam as well I am considering studying for the 5.5 test since in the long run it would be better? Anyone have pro's and con's to this? Obviously a VCP is a VCP but it seems like I am preparing for something, even the mgmt of it that is in the past.

10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Do you mind I ask why you want to become a VCP? I'm not being flippant, what do you want to get out of this? It's highly unlikely anyone other than other techies will ask you what exam you passed. Like you say you will be a VCP 5 either way if successful. With that in mind, and that you are funding this, keep your costs low and sit the exam you have trained for. Become a VCP 5 and read all about 5.5. Hopefully you can work on it and learn all there is to know about 5.0, 5.1 and 5.5 but at the end of the day you will have the a premier certification which I would imagine is your aim to aid your career and demonstrate your commitment to development and learning. I automatically don my cap to anyone who has passed any of the VCP exams because I found them quite difficult. Just my two cents and by no means am I trying to tell you what to do sir

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Well earlier this year I lost my job. Although I now have a new job we are building an environment based off 5.5 My new company paid for the training so it makes sense for my own marketability to get the cert. I am familiar somewhat with the vSphere client but not the web version. If I trained to pass the 5.1 test it would be (mostly) using an outdated client. Maybe I am overthinking it, I know alot of people still use the vSphere client (non web). I am just trying to maximize my time and also become a VCP.

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I manage a team at my company that uses 5.5 infrastructure, unless we have to (for a specific reason) we still use the C# client because it's just faster, obviously with 6 that's going to go out the door but if I am honest I would still stick with the 5.x exam rather than the 5.5 exam, even more so if you're looking at the VCAP int he not too distant future because the 5.5 VCAP takes you down the route of VCO Workflows, unless you're familiar with VCO I would probably stick with the 5.x route of exams just at the moment.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA