Which Route to Take?

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by miller3818, Aug 19, 2013.

1. miller3818

miller3818 New Member

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice. I have just received a bachelor's in Management Information Systems and am now looking for a job. It seems like every single employer, no matter what the position is, wants experience with specific software or hardware.

I think it's time I start to narrow my choices. I'm interested in virualization but I don't know much about it other than playing around with VMware Fusion. I know a little about networking and administration but nothing too in depth.

1) With my background, would I be able to study for the VCP5-DCV exam and pass?

2) Would having a cert in virtualization help me land a job without experience in the field?

3) What would you recommend doing, going straight for my VCP5-DCV or work on some foundational topics such as Networking (Network+ or CCNA)?

Many thanks in advance!

Any feedback will be appreciated.

2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

When starting out, the traditional route is to get into 1st (or 1st/2nd depending on the company) IT support ie desktop software and hardware troubleshooting. The truth is that, VMware or any Cisco certifications will not help at this current stage.You will be wasting an awful lot of money and time. Until you've built up a solid skill set and some years of experience, that is when you have the choice to advance into an area that you like; be it virtualisation or networking.

It's rare for someone who is starting out to handed a virtualisation or network admin job. Don't fall in the trap of thinking that you have to attain these higher certs to get a job and then wonder even with these certs that why you (just speaking in general) are not even getting a good response.

It's highly recommended for one starting out to pursue a certification such CompTIA A+. You can do this for cheap by self studying. It certainly can be done with just an A+ and no experience (look around the forum). It's not a golden ticket but you will have to be persistent.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. miller3818

miller3818 New Member

Thanks for the advice reverb! I've thought about going for my Network+. I'll consider my A+ as well.