VMware certification and training for non infrastructure people

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by dmarsh, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I was thinking of maybe embarking on VMware training and certification at some point.

However my role is primarily that of a developer, I have a reasonable understanding of network and server basics but its not my main focus.

Will this be achievable or advisable ?

David

- - - Updated - - -

From SimonD

I've used desktop virtualisation, VMware Server, VMware Player, VMware workstation, VirtualBox, VirtualPC.

I've worked in companies using ESX but not done much with it personally. Generally infrastructure people tend to touch it most.

I have basic server, networking, storage knowledge and fairly advanced OS internals knowledge.

I have been programming in Java for around 8 years and know most Spring products well. I have not seen any certifications for Spring.

I would set up my own home lab like most people on here were I to pursue it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Then my friend anything is possible :) (including getting a decent Lenovo server which I am currently [URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150977351714]selling[/URL]).

My only obvious concern would be that it's generally expected that guys moving into the virtualisation marketspace do come from a systems admin type role, have the experience and background to work with the stack and that you are stepping up from that kind of role, not from a development type role (not saying you won't be good at it, more that some companies may not touch you because of your lack of relevent experience.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have seen some roles asking for virtualization and programming, granted they are fairly rare but they do exist.

For such a role I would arguably be better suited than most infrastructure people.