The learning people

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dazzo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi all!

Has anyone had experience with the learning people and/or their IT courses?

I was looking to do Network+ MCSA Win 7 and server 2012 with them but can't find many reviews online.

I can't see any red flags but was unsure on whether the material will be worth the cost. I believe they offer free resits too.

I'm looking for a more structured approach to study, currently going through network + mike myers book and online vids.

I can't afford the time to do the week+ solid courses currently although I think that could be an option.

Your thoughts are appreciated !

Daz

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Update:

I have found more info and looked more closely at the site, T&C's and a forum post on here from 2012 and decided against going with this TP or any TP for Network +.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  3. ckastam

ckastam New Member

Hello

Well, since June that I have enrolled with them for the Network+, it seems there aren't any obvious problems. Listen my story

I contacted them as an initial curiosity enquiry about the cost of the Network+ package that includes 12 months access in their online platform + examination feem, as no pricing was available in the advertisement according to their marketing strategy. Actually they called me in order to offer me a "special offer" that was about to expire by the end of the month so I had to decide quickly within 2 days whether to enroll or not. In fact, they managed to persuade me to give them 895 GBP in 6 monhtly portions for the course including the examination fees and an NUS student card because their marketing strategy was succesful for someone who is not suspicious and currently works as a kitchen porter.

As a personal though, when there are no job opportunities in IT and you are doing a manual job, you get persuaded easily to give your hard working money for a better future for you and your family.

So if you are looking for a narrated - animated educational platform where there are no notes (you have to take your own notes while the narration of each chapter last (printscreen paste them and write them down in a document which in fact is a good studying practise) i think its a good idea.
    The online platform is available for 12 months which is a good duration although it is preferable to complete it as fast as possible otherwise all that you have learned is forgotten because of everyday life. Platform also includes some multiple choice tests which i find quite interesting and demanding in order to check your progress, which is also good.
    However, I suddenly came accross some books concerning the Network+ (Darril Gibson, Todd Lammle) and I have realised some differences
    1. chapters have been mixed around
    2. Few chapters like cables categories, Ethernet and TCP/IP headers, network diagnostic tools have been ommited or just mentioned so far.

so i am a bit confused about the syllabus included and I am becoming more confused if i have to study more books for the exam.

I think that if i had bought -at least- the Todd Lammle student book for 20 or 40 GBP and pay for examination fee, would have been cheaper instead of giving 900 GBP for the online narrative platform+examination fee.
    After all, the book might be important to supplement my studies..... so i will have to buy it in any case.

P.S. when you deal and make bussiness with strangers on cold phone calls that you never meet on person, there is always a kind of mistrust of their objectives. and of course in a capitalistic society everyone wants to earn money from your money.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. Liamism

Liamism New Member

I used to work there and we got paid on commission. Our target was based upon gross profit. The sales people would set the price to get the most gross profit.

Example: call in and say you’re a dentist, it’ll cost 4K. Call in say you work at Tesco, 2.8k.

Also the lies!! As it’s a sales company expect to hear what you want to hear:

Example: If you earn 40k per year already, expect to earn 80k when qualified. Earn 20k, expect 40k.

Starting salaries with these qualifications are more realistically 24k. It doesn’t take a genius to know that the big salaries require experience and a lot more than a self study course. Although expect to be told otherwise.

Don’t trust me? Call in pretending to be a high earner, see what is said and try another call (with new calling details as you will be saved on their CRM with notes) being somebody else and see what another reps tells you.

The other point of ‘exams included’ is worth knowing about. 80% of people don’t get round to exams so The Learning People never have to pay to get you a voucher so their profit rises more! They know that the missold expectation means most customers won’t get as far as exams. Unless you study non stop for years.

If the courses are for you, you have realistic time to put in (we are talking over 4 hours a day to be qualified in a few years) Go direct to the retailer for the RRP and not be upsold with student care (a rep who books exams) cv detox (a unqualified person looking at your cv) or exams included (only if you get there and pass a mock exam with certain scores).

This is your career but just a sale to them.

Expect lots of fake reviews to follow this as (much like their questionable rating on trust pilot) they fake review to get customers.