Education costs just far to high

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I've recently enquired about a part-time BTEC course in IT, and I kid you not I got fees of £5000+ per year! I couldn't believe it. This got me thinking, how can something like education cost so much? I mean who has a spare 5k lying around these days.. I dont see why a simple college course should cost the same amount as it does to hire a hitman.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you're currently working in IT, do not have a level 4 or above qualification already, contact your local college re apprenticeships. One of our local colleges recently received funding for level 2 and 3 apprenticeships*, so I quickly organised level 3 IT apprenticeships for 2 of my staff members :)

*Not sure if all colleges received the funding and not all colleges will do the same apprenticeships.

But yes, in general, costs for education is currently at it's true cost. This is because a lot of the funding that was provided by the Government has either been stopped or reduced.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

I did a lot of research into this.

The money they are asking for was too out of reach for me. But there are funding options and grants that most colleges offer.

Look through the finance options and see what is viable for you, if any.

The reason why I have chosen the cert path is time and money, it allows me me to gain certifications while filling my job role and without getting in the way too much of my personal life(getting married next year, Gym etc).

My plan personally, with a little help from the insightful people here, is to find a long term certification path after completing the role critical certs and sticking to it, making sure I get where I need to be, with as little wasted money and time as possible, while gaining real world experience in my current IT support role.

There are also careers advice people that will offer advice and help for free, if you have a look at what the government offers. They are therefore this exact reason and I found them very friendly and helpful.

Kind regards,

Darren

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can always go and study in Scotland or the Netherlands.

Its a shame costs have risen but in the US a decent degree can cost you $100,000 so things could be far worse.

You don't need a degree to work in IT, so I'd just self study.

Look at MOOC's like Coursera, Edx and Udacity. Look at CBT's like Pluralsight.

Many of these classes are better than the classes I had in college.

There are a lot of options for cheap effective study now, just finding a computer book was like gold-dust when I started, and you couldn't just find things on the world wide web.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

TBF when I started in IT we were still using the abacus (I was actually using the Internet before it was the Internet (Prestel and original CompuServe anyone?).

There is so much out there these days to help people out that it makes learning so much easier.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA