Are you still resisting powershell?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Adzmobile, May 30, 2014.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hello!

Since Powershell has been around, I have always been interested in it. I tried for a long time getting to grips with it, however like with anything new, it hasn't been easy.

Have you started using Powershell in your organisation and what is your feeling towards it? Is the thought of scripting hold you back? I know that it can be intimidating at times and it was for me, even after studying programming at university.

I think it is something essential to learn and also incredibly rewarding so the effort will pay off. Also with many administrative tasks, once you have built and configured a server for example, the effort is somewhat lost - since its not repeatable. However the effort that goes into a script is far from lost and can be used multiple times.

ASR Consultants You better Powershell up! - ASR Consultants

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  2. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

Resistance is futile...

PowerShell is your friend. I started with it a couple of years ago and haven't looked back, I hardly use a GUI anymore if I can help it. Once you've got to grips with it, the shell is much faster, easier and more powerful. Also, I've found that I quite enjoy scripting and will often find myself writing scripts in my head while driving to work.

Although that probably is just me :blink

SR

Arroryn and jk2447 like this.
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I use a little powershell, however I use more bat and vbs scripts at the moment. Mainly as it's easier due to not having enough time to properly investigate/convert my existing scripts, files and knowledge.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I just code it in C# rather than use powershell.

Now resisting the Power Rangers, thats another matter ! :biggrin

5. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

dmarsh thats pretty interesting. What kind of things do you program in c#?

Do you find it more flexible or granular? I would like to learn c# but not sure exactly what use cases i would use it for.

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

C# is a general purpose high level language, you can code pretty much anything you like in it, desktop apps, services, servers, web sites, operating systems, games, mobile apps, installers, big data, line of business apps, anything really.

The only problem with C# is its a garbage collected language that requires a virtual machine runtime, and therefore isn't great for memory constrained devices. Its portability is also somewhat limited due to ties to the windows platform.

I can code in many languages so if C# isn't an ideal fit I can just use a different one.

The reason I mention C# is that there is shared common code with powershell.

Its common to use a mix of technology on any moderately complex project.

I've never learnt powershell, but yes I find fully fledged programming languages tend to be more flexible and maintainable than scripting languages.

Its becoming more contentious with things like python and ruby.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well im only 6 months into my role, but i can see the potential with what it can offer, but then theres the time in sitting down and doing it. Sometimes at work im mentally exhausted and really dont do much when i get home. Normally id be intimidated by the code side, as i used visual basic and wasnt really good at it, Dmarsh however did help me on a few occasions.

Ive looked into it, just skimmed the surface really, but as i grow more confident in my role, i will take things further. I think there was an update job a few weeks ago, where we had to update IE from 10 to 11, but for some reason we ended up going round to each machine etc, which after a while can be somewhat tedious, although the exp was good. I was thinking, im sure there is a way to create a script using powershell etc. At the mo, im still IT helpdesk and even though im getting my confidence , theres still a lot to learn.

Powershell however will be a great tool for sure

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Gutted someone robbed my "resistance is futile" ref, because it really is! VBS is marked for death, PS FTW

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Mostly for Exchange server - handy to bulk create accounts and archive.

Slight changes between Exchange Server versions though! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs