lost direction

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shadowwebs, Apr 24, 2014.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Since passing my A+ a couple of years ago, and gaining an IT Technician role just over a year ago, I feel like I have lost direction of which way to go next... I have tried reading through a couple of Microsoft exams but I just find a lot of the information dull and I lose focus, I then tried starting the network+ course recently because I felt that it will update my A+ which expires in April 2015, but I once again lost focus and stopped doing it... maybe it's because i'm in a full time, permanent, ok paid job but I feel like I need to get my fingers dirty again and start learning, yet nothing is grabbing my focus as my mind drifts away on something else. I keep on saying that I want to build an app for android but then I know this means I need to learn Java or something similar... have I hit the brick wall and just need to try and find a way around or over?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Pizzaboy

Pizzaboy Bit Poster

Maybe you need to find something that you really enjoy and push for that. I know for me its a once I get started I usually can't stop because I love learning new things, don't like taking exams though.

So look for a topic/area that you get all juiced up about and take a crack at that.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), Network+, MCSA:2003, MCTS:Win7,640,642
    WIP: 70-410
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I 100% agree with Pizzaboy, why not learn something just for kicks and forget about exams ?

You are correct Android is basically Java on Linux, with a different JVM and some extra APIs. It is possible to write Android apps without learning Java however (PhoneGap, Xamarin, JQuery Mobile, AppBuilder, etc).

Why not check out pluralsight or coursera and see if there is anything that interests you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014