Knowing When To Give Up On A Specific Exam??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Stuzzle, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

So I'm gearing up for my 3rd sitting of the 70-685 in March, first sat it in September (scored 650) and then again in December (studied more but somehow got 540 :/) and have decided this 3rd attempt will be my last go and then I'm moving on regardless of the score.

Why?
    Despite not wanting to "lose face"/not wanting to look like I've failed by quitting, I've realised the 70-685 is not an essential to my career development as such, it is more just a mental checkpoint I have set myself before I can move on to the Server 2008 exams which frankly I feel will help me more in the long run (+ enhance my knowledge further obviously) and I just can't justify spending even more months chasing this 1 exam for my own skewed sense of achievement. As it is I wanted the Windows 7 exams done in 2012 but through lack of personal application didn't start sitting them until 2013.

Have you guys gone through this before?? Have you ever reached a point of having to say "enough is enough"?

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Maybe you need to look at using different study resources?

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this maybe you need to improve your approach to study as a whole, are you dedicating quiet time to study, are websites such as facebook banned for that time? Are you taking notes, doing exam prep questions, taking regular breaks, are you feeling mentally fit when you do study?

Client Exams are generally easier than server IMO so maybe this would be a good time to get your technique down :).

I think you need to spend a night just going through study techniques, creating a plan of action, setting some reasonable goals and objectives, this exam is passable, but unfortunately I have found if your study is poor no matter how good you are these exams are also easy to fail.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I think 3rd time is reasonable to give up IF it really isnt going to make much difference career wise. I don't really have experience with this of such, but I gave up with A+ many times, not because I found it difficult, just the amount of content there is just put me off.. Im really dedicating myself to it this time though.. I think my inspiration comes from not wanting to do a job that I hate anymore. Possibly if you found this difficult you could go for the MTA Operating system fundamentals..