New user - Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by CU_AMiGA, Jan 22, 2014.

1. CU_AMiGA

CU_AMiGA New Member

Hi everyone.

I posted something similar to this on another forum but someone recommended me to post it here too.

Basically I am looking into getting into an entry level it support type role. I have quite a bit of computer hardware and software knowledge although it is probably a little outdated. So my plan is to do the Comptia A+ exam and then work my way up learning new and more advanced things. Maybe even doing multiple exams in succession.

After looking at the top 2 sticky threads my initial questions have changed. But I would like to ask:

1) Am debating about either self learning or doing online courses. If I take the online course route, what are the recommended website/companies to use?

2) If I choose the self taught route then how/where would you actually book the actual exam to?! (Sorry if that sounds stupid). Also what are the best books/guides to buy to help you study?

3) Any other advice that I may be forgotten or need to know. :) (or any other courses suggestions that would suit someone who wants to get on the general hardware and software it support technician type role)

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Messiah74

Messiah74 Bit Poster

Hey CU Amiga

Welcome to the forum , I have just joined myself

When I started the process of studying I looked into online courses and supported courses from private companies and invite a few of them round to the house to get info and more importantly costs and let me tell you , I reckon the markup is huge given the cars they all drove lol ...all joking aside I reckon if you need 1 on 1 support and your hand held a little then the training option may be the best , I on the other hand chose to save myself a few thousand pounds and do it myself.

For my COMPtia qualifications I use Pearson and for my Microsoft I am using prometric . Register with them both online creating usernames and passwords and then purchase the vouchers and set date for exam through them , the bigger vendors have more partners ( places to take exams )

As far as the books go you are spoiled for choice and it comes down to how you like to study I guess , I would also recommend using online practice tests where possible to test your readiness. For Microsoft I'm using tony Northrop jack mackin books specified on the Microsoft website in the learning category, I would note at this point that Microsoft do offer an exam like a+ for fundamentals so you might wanna place more eggs in that basket but it's your choice and there isn't really pre-requisites at your level

Other advice - well as I would say to everyone , build. Break and fix as much as you can , you need to understand the theory not just repeat it parrot fashion as companies need experience too

Good luck :)

Certifications: Comptia A+ , Comptia N+ , C.C.N.A
    WIP: M.C.S.A