Advice on courses, TP's and life!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by perky, Dec 5, 2013.

1. perky

perky New Member

Hi All

For this post I would like to start by putting things into some context! I’m a Project Manager (contractor) with 4 years’ experience primarily in the defence sector. Whilst not a techno-biff, I have no experience of the IT world apart from as a front-end Microsoft user.

I am looking to broaden my horizon’s a little. I have been looking at a course with National IT Learning centre (NITLC). They are offering the following courses:

CompTia A+

CompTia Network +

MCSA Windows 8

MCSA Windows Server 2012

CCNA

The cost of this course is £2995 of which I would need to pay (via my ltd company) £995 as the rest is covered by MOD (I’m ex forces and get still have money available for training (ELC))

I’m not looking to become a network engineer, its more so that I can work on IT projects and understand more about what the technical lead is telling me.

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone got any recent experience of NITLC

2) Is it worth doing all these courses or just do the CompTia A+ N+ via self-study

3) Is there other courses worth doing which would make me more contractible to IT projects

All and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Please have a read of my first 4 or 5 pinned threads in this forum (Training & Development) to get a better idea of training providers v self training, the different certs and who they are aimed at as well as general training and developmental bits and pieces.

I would honestly suggest that if you're not aiming to be an engineer but just want to improve your overall IT knowledge that you would be better off going down the self-study route. I would also advise that these courses aren't intended (with the exception of the CompTIA courses) as entry level certifications and are more aimed at a junior engineer wanting to prove their abilities.

As a PM I wouldn't be wasting £3000 on training that really isn't where I am going or in reality need, my previous PM's have all relied on me as their subject matter expert (that is after all what they are paying me for) and I wouldn't expect my PM's to know everything about my role because then that makes my role redundant.

If you want to improve your knowledge there are a whole host of different YouTube videos out there that give you a good level of understanding and come in a hell of a load cheaper than £3000.

My 2 pence but I have enough experience for it to hopefully matter.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. perky

perky New Member

Simon

Thanks for the advice. The voice of experience is always well received.

I have been leaning towards the self study route. Comptia A+ (and poss N+) seem to be the way forward.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would just stick with the self-study route for the moment, the N+ and A+ would give you a greater understanding of the basic technologies but I would still look at the use of YouTube for any particular subjects that you want to brush up on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA