Time to start contracting?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BraderzTheDog, Nov 3, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi ladies and gents,

Just wondering if you can assist with my latest dilemma... Its coming up to my 4th year in networking now and I'm looking at going contracting to get some savings for future endeavors.

My ball park is networking and I have a good deal of experience ranging from BAU, Project Implementation and Design, and certs from all the big vendors (Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint...) is it time!?!

I keep going over the thought of it, but keep delaying it. My specialty is Network Security and I'm about to take the CCNP sec (Firewall and VPN) exam. I'm thinking of holding off until I have these two certs to add to my collection, I'm not looking for a huge day rate (I'm also a poor northerner, so I'm not expecting £500 a day either) realistically about £300 a day.

Does this sound within the realms of possibility for my age / experience / certifications?

Thanks,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Errr - for what mate? Are you looking for big £££?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BraderzTheDog

Thats pretty much the only reason. I'm quite happy where I work at the moment but I'm after completing my pilots license, so money is the driver at the moment.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have to say that now is not the time to be looking at moving in to contracting, I have spent time looking for work in the run up to Xmas and struggled until April to get something (and I am not exactly unemployable) and it's not a nice thing to be in.

If you're happy with your job at the moment I would stick with it for the time being and bide your time, one thing I would like to point out here is that you're 19 and have loads of time ahead of you to be earning more money, gain some more experience and skills and then look at doing it again in the future (age may well be against you on the contracting side at the moment but I could be wrong).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Short term-contracts are always available. But the money will mean that they only take what they deem to be the best for their exact needs, so it could take a while.

Money should be OK, but be prepared to travel, possibly to the point of moving (at least temporarily)...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. BraderzTheDog

I've been approached by a few agencies lately re net security contracts in Leeds.

Yes you are right they are quite short term, most in the region of 3 - 6 months which is fine with me. I suppose the extra capital you make you save for the time you are not working at the end of the contract.

I'm not sure where this one is going, I think im going to sort the CCNP sec first then try it.

7. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I think recruiters like you to have a CCNP from my experience.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would have to agree with Simon – in the current climate I would stay in the job you have and build up some certs.

Why not work up the ladder at your current place of work to get the £££? Contracting isn’t always the answer…

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hey brad - what did you end up deciding to do? are you now contracting or end up staying at your current place?

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI