Good training companies

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by david_mcg, May 11, 2012.

1. david_mcg

david_mcg Bit Poster

Just looking at training companies at the moment for my N+ which seems a little impossible with work commitments. So i plan to book an intensive course and do it asap. Miss learning a lot so looking for peoples recommendations - Im based in London but willing to travel even if its a great course abroad obviously it would have to be cheaper but open to suggestions.

Of course I'm tapping your brains for info but doing a bit of research at the same time so hopefully will give me a good chance to make the correct decision.

Thanks in advance :-)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MVA 79
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A warning on intensive courses.
    They will cram your head with little more than the minimum you need to pass the exam.
    Often they will hand out braindumps, and a month later you won't remember a word of it.
    Their objective is usually just to get you through the exam rather to teach you anything useful about networking.

When you're looking for a decent training provider, look for something 'bricks and mortar'. You should be able to walk in off the street and see it working. If you're lucky, you may see a class in progress. Check out the facilities - does each student have a PC? Is it well maintained and comfortable? Does the training material look genuine, rather than a pile of photocopies?

Be very wary of somewhere that operates from behind closed doors - there's usually a reason for it.
    Also be wary of online or distance learning 'for your convenience'. It can be very difficult to get through to them when you need to. You have to wonder why they are averse to people dropping in on them.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    Boycie likes this.
  3. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  4. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

QA in Hinckley is a good centre, although I think they mainly offer ITIL and PRINCE2 courses. Only other centres I've been to are QA Altrincham and New Horizons Birmingham - again, both are decent places to study, both in terms of study environment and quality of the courses/lecturers.

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Commsupport has a good rep, plus they offer free courses every now and again :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Xorallius

Xorallius Bit Poster

There's one called JustIT training in the centre of London, small place with ongoing classes... not sure about the quality or price but they do have a two day free trial.

I'm currently with them but not studying in London, only visited the place once myself.

Certifications: BSc: ICT | A+ | MCP (271, 272) | MCDST |
    WIP: MCTS (70-680)
  7. david_mcg

david_mcg Bit Poster

Cheers Guys,

I am looking into going with QA which although the price is higher I know the quality to expect as I studied up in Altrincham like pete above and they were great. Not sure if that centre still exists because i heard they were closing at one point but more investigation to be done. Will post up details once I am happy with the courses i have chosen.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MVA 79
  8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I'll add to the people suggesting CommSupport. I looked into them some time ago, I still intend to go along to a course at some point but money is prohibiting me so far.

I have however been in and done one of the Free 1 day courses in Intro to Networking, which I did at CommSupport's old office in London, they've moved since but I don't expect that would of made much of a difference, and i'm sure they probably only moved as they found something better as opposed to worse/cheaper.

Also I have attended one or two free Webinar Sessions that have been offered on here, did a couple of hours on VLAN's etc.

All the stuff I have done has been presented by Joe and he is very good, very approachable and has some good (All be it odd) teaching methods. Most people who have done any of the courses will probably know the story of the chickens.

Would defo recommend them though, seem like a real decent outfit, and as said I fully intend on doing some proper training courses with them once I can free up the cash.

HTH

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  9. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Just to agree and state their new offices are much like the old no real change from memory, but if anything easier to get to and now with air con and newer equipment:).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
    Coupe2T likes this.
  10. sidimmu

sidimmu Bit Poster

i was going to say ignore them and dont use them at all, so many better training companies out there, JUSTIT just want your money, most of everything they tell you is a sales pitch.

11. Xorallius

Xorallius Bit Poster

Yeah, I've read quite a few differing views regarding them, which is how I got to this website. But I've started with them anyway, as most of the negative views were generally from TP bashers. If you have any personal experience, let me know :)

Saying that they haven't been too bad so far, a few glitches but no major issues, although I haven't been with them for that long yet...

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Certifications: BSc: ICT | A+ | MCP (271, 272) | MCDST |
    WIP: MCTS (70-680)
  12. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I had a look at a couple of courses from them, had an interview once for a job opening on a seperate occassion.

Seemed OK, I didn't get chased once I said I wasn't interested. Only reason I didn't with them was the cost, self-study is just so much cheaper if you are determined.

Hope all goes well with them, let us know once you've finished :)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  13. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I've had a very positve experience with Rezound on the CTT+. I've self-studied for virtually every cert, and these are the only Training Provider I've ever used. So while I can't compare them against anything, and I've not done their Network+, I can say they were damn good on my course: the course had real value and I can recommend them without any reservations.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?