Open University and the SFIA Framework

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MLP, Feb 19, 2009.

1. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Just wondering, does anyone on here have any experience with the SFIA Framework. More specifically, the element describing systems design, level 2, as described here?

I'm considering taking the Open University Shortened BSc (Hons) degree, using my HND in computing, and my work experience as a Techie to meet the entry requirements. Today I received an email in response to an inquiry, which stated that I must provide a statement, along with a reference from my employer, that describes how I have met one of the level two tasks in the SFIA framework. I've built from scratch an SQL Server Express powered web system, written in classic ASP, to allow staff to make IT Support requests, and allow myself and the systems manager to allocate the task to a technician, and to update the requests status, and add notes. The systems been fully documented, with help manuals for users, and a comprehensive installation document.

I know the best way to find out is to apply and wait and see, but I just want to put forward the best case possible, and if this isn't the best route to take, I'd consider other options (I.e. matching my work with another Task), before I blow my chances.

Thanks for your help

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

UKD & myself (along with a few other here) work at/met level 5 and above. However based on what you've described and the way you word it (that is important), I would say that at least part of it meets level 3.

You've built the system (eg back end), you've designed it (eg front-end), I assume that before you deployed it you prototyped it/tested it with a small group (and documented any faults/fixes)? Method you used, eg RAD.

Will you be going for the ICTTech offered by the ECUK via the IET or the BCS?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi Ken

Thanks for your response.

I built the system in a fairly casual way, but I still have my notes etc. It would be easy enough to formalise them.

My systems manager basically said it would be good to have a helpdesk system, and I went away, drew up some Use Case diagrams to describe the user interactions and workflows, and built a set of plain HTML pages to demonstrate this. Then I took these to him and another colleague, who tried them out, and agreed with how they worked. Then I designed the relational database, worked out all actions on the database (Queries), and tested them.

Then I wired the pages up to the queries, by converting them to ASP, and writing the code to execute the SQL statements.

I tested the system on my home network, as it's AD integrated (It just reads the currently logged on user, for single sign on and authentication), documented the required permissions etc, and took it to work for more feedback. Following this, I made some cosmetic changes, and created the user hand books.

The system was then installed on a server at work, after which my Manager requested a change so that only him and I could assign tasks to Techs, which I documented and implemented.

Following some staff changes, we are now testing it internally, I.e. we are submitting tasks, and following them up, before we introduce it to all staff. However, I can already see some changes that need to be made, in order to streamline the whole process. So in essence, it's an iterative prototype, that will need adapting.

The ICTTech looks very good, and once I've found out what direction work want me to take with certs and things, I'll be looking to go for this as well. At present, their hinting at MCITP:SA, but I'm sure I can fit the ICTTech in alongside my work somehow. I just need to join either BCS or IET first.

Again, thanks for your advice, it is extremely appreciated, and i'll let you all know how I get on.

Maria

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'd agree with Ken. Wouldn't have thought you'd have any problem reaching the requirement

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi UKDarkstar

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Off to make a start on this statement now.

Maria

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well you don't have to fit the ICTTech in, as it's based on your work, so all you'd have to do is document what you do in some sort of report, get references and provide your certs/quals - you'll be assess on what you do, how you do it and what you've already achieved :)

Thanks mate, I also agree with you agreeing with me, lol :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just wanted to update you guys on my progress.

I heard back from the OU today, saying that I've been accepted on the course, and will start my first module(s) in Feb. next year. A bit of a wait, but it gives me a chance to brush up on some Java, and carry on with .Net, in preparation.

Thanks for all your help

Maria

8. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Thanks for the update, I had this thread on watch in case you did.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing (top up to Bsc with the OU) but have got accepted onto a Masters last Friday to start this September. You normally need the Bsc but they accepted me with my HND and work experience.

Regards,
    Dom 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Sounds good Dom - what are you doing your Masters in ? I've been looking at this p/t course :

http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/business_information_tech_msc_pt/course_details.aspx

10. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

The course I am doing is Msc Intelligent Systems

It suits the kind of thing we do at work but hopefully to a higher level. I've stuck with DMU as I am close it and I have done all my other courses through them as well and I've always found them pretty good.

Yeah the BIT Msc looks good. Have you contacted them about starting it this year then?

Dom 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh, spoken to the Programme Leader and I meet the entry requriements ok. The issue (being unemployed) is in finding the fees. I've applied to a private Trust and am waiting to hear back (not hopeful as they said their income is investment based and so hit due to the economy atm).

If I can raise the fees I'll give it a shot. The committment is half a day a week in term time. I'd hope that I could gte some good industry contacts via the Uni and so get an "in" for speaking to some about a job whilst I was studying (I'd go for it on the two year p/t basis).

12. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Best of luck to the both of you with the Masters Degrees. I'm not quite ready for that step yet, but maybe after.

UKDarkstar - Would you not be eligible for fees support? When I done my HND a few years back, I was able to get assistance from the County Council as a Mature Student.

Maria

13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Unfortunately not. Already having a first degree they won't pay for any postgraduate study :x