Training with Cerco

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by The Zig, Jul 17, 2008.

1. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi!
    I'm new here. I'm sure you get this question every week (in which case, links to relevant threads would be appreciated). I can't see anything on the front page now, though I have read some useful threads here already.

Question is: Should I do the Cerco training.
    Pros:
    1) The course offers hands-on training and experience. I've got a computer at home, and I've fixed, updated, part-built computers before, but I'm limited in terms of equipment. Hands on, real experience with something a bit more exotic would be interesting, and could be of potentially benefit for the job hunt, right?
    2) The course is intensive. Everything is done inside one month. Then I could get on the job hunt. This is crucial, as my current line of work peaks NOW, and really dries up into aumtumn. I got a family to look after, so the swifter the transition, the better.
    3) Cerco have a recruitment team. Their representatives boast of a 98% success rate in getting candidates solid jobs at fairly decent pay. Although the ASA ruling against them throws up some doubts about where this statistic comes from. However, IF this course will have me on the right road, quickly, then it's probably worth the money.
    Cons:
    1) It's £4K (5K after expenses) for a non-industry, home-brew qualification. Will it be worth the money? Will the hands-on training carry any recognition with companies in the field? The scenario I dont want, is being 5 grand down the road waving some useless piece of paper at bemused recruitment chiefs, while some "recruitment team" try to push me into an "IT job" cleaning urinal sensors! (Categorising me as "Not requiring placement" if I refuse.)
    2) After my initial interview, I V+ed (recorded) a TV show on daytime on a cable channel, and among the usual fodder (adverts for consolidating debts/suing the company that let you fall off a ladder), I saw an advert for Cerco there. On daytime cable TV. This disturbed me. A lot.

The other key option is self-study (per The Guide). For example the A+; 20 times cheaper, and industry recognised. The key problem I have with this is that it won'ty give me the practical, hands-on experience. I'm limited to my own equipment.
    How would an A+, plus my Electronic Eng degree from a solid UK uni, plus some knowledge of C/C++ and Linux, set me up on the entry level job market?
    Better or worse than with the Cerco option?

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry, but you could get on the IT job hunt now, while studying the A+.

I have personally done both TP and self-study, and I know which I prefer... self study. The good things about self-study are you learn at your own pace, you are in control, and you don't waste hard earned cash.

All you need for the A+ is one PC, and the likes of the Meyers AIO 6th edition and the PC Technician Street Smarts... then you're laughing.

£5k is a lot of anyone's money. If you want exotic, book a holiday in the Bahamas, and save the rest...

Oh, and welcome to CF! 8)

3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You keep referring to not having equipment, but you can buy a CCNA equivalent network kit for around 120 pounds, which includes a switch and 2 routers (with all the cables), you can also put VMware on pcs and have a virtual mini network for next to nothing (just need trial CDs and plenty of memory in your pc).

Also the official study material (books) rates in the 10's of pounds not in the 1000s, trust me, most people on this forum prefer self study for a reason, and in my opinion those who say "i need my hand holding to motivate me to study" are just as likely to do poorly with a course anyway, and also, it has to be said, IT is a non stop learning curve, so really if you cant self study and learn quickly for yourself then you will have problems down the road and maybe should look into another field.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi - welcome to CF.

Excellent first post, BTW!

Its true that most people on here would advocate self-study as the best route to most certifications. As someone who was lucky enough to get a whole load of training paid for by a previous employer as part of a redundance package, I can wholeheartedly state that, had I paid for the training myself, I would not have considered it even remotely good value for money - and that was with a good training provider!

Of all the TPs you could use, Cerco seem to me to be one of thr worst - they are providing you with a useless piece of paper, that won't be recognised outside any of the companies they recruit for and will cost you five grand! You would be just as well off sending me the five k - I'll knock you up a piece of paper that says you are a CZSP (Certified Zebulebu Systems Professional) and will put that money to much better use (downpayment on a new motor)

If you want to go the TP route, I would advise that you at least use one that will help you work towards an industry standard certification. With your decent academic background the A+ should be reasonably straightforward for you, then I'd start looking at the MCDST cert - whilst you're doing this you should be able to find ebtry-level work somewhere.

Good luck!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice, above. I'm also an advocate of self-study training. Haven't paid for a training course yet!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the incredibly quick replies!

I do think you're right. The key problem I have with home study isn't a lack of confidence or motivation, it's (a) equipment (though based on what you've said, I'll look into the networking stuff, and training material - I've already bought Meyers AIO 6th Ed off amazon, with a little luck it'll be waiting for me at home now...), and (b) space.

It's not that I need my hand held, it's just with my family situation (got a 3 month old son), it's gonna be really hard to get time aside for some real study, pratice and focus. But, heck, that's just what I gotta do. A bit of space ain't worth £5K, and besides which I'd be abandoning my family for a month!!:ohmy

Nah, you're right. Self-training is definitely the way to go.

:biggrin Deal! ;)

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
  7. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Just a post to say thank you.
    On the advice of the people of this forum - on this thread and others I lurked through - I decided to self-study towards an A+.

And just to report - I passed the 220-601 (A+ Essentials) last week and the 220-602 (A+ IT Tech) today.

If it weren't for this forum I would never have realised self-study is a viable option, and would probably be £4K down, in some B&B up in the arse end of nowhere, studying for a TP's homebrew course. Instead, I am officially now a CompTIA certified IT Technician!:rocks

Now if I can just convert that into better employment...:oops:

8. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

Hey congrats im still studying but had bad experience with Cerco so im glad it all worked out for you !

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! That lack of debt (or extra cash in your pocket) feels good, doesn't it? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Awesome - another CF success story!

(Well, a self-study success story, but we made at least some contribution to it)

Congratulations!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. pughy

pughy New Member

I see everyone slating Cerco on this forum, funny how I must be 1 of the few that has made it good from Cerco's course, I had been in dead end jobs for about 10 years getting bored every 2 years. Saw the advert one night and went for it, cost me 5K but well worth it in my opinion. I went from £15,000a year to £26,000 in 4 months of doing the course. I found the course to be easy going, I dont think you really pay for the training its the contacts with some big corporations Cerco deal directly with, Whilst I was 2 weeks into the course 3 lads (out of 15) got jobs with Fujitsu (Company van,mobile and Laptop) which I thought good going.

I however didnt get a job straight away it took ME 10 weeks to get an interview (NOT CERCO ME) which I got, its a rolling contract and I have being with them for the last 3 years now doing different jos within a very large organisation, Cerco did get me a few interviews but these were for jobs that would be coming up if the said comapny got the contract, Also Cerco are a recruitment agency so they make money if they find you a job too,

I believe Cerco was the best way for me as I have got 3 children under 10 so quite time and space is non-existant in my house, I had tried self study with Skills train but just could't do it, too many home distractions

cheers

Pughy:rolleyes:

Certifications: CCSN,A+,N+
    WIP: CCNA,
  13. Toddy

Toddy New Member

Pughy I find it highly suspicious that you give Cerco good rep, paricularly when you live within commuting distance of their office...

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You do know this thread is 5 years old, right?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Toddy

Toddy New Member

Of course I do. Why does that matter Arroryn?
    If you search Google for a review of Cerco this page is one of the top results. So long as Cerco are still trading, it is still very relevant. I'm still in touch with everyone from my 'intake' at Cerco and not one of them has had a good experience with them, so I think it's pretty important to maintain the message that they are still a terrific waste of your time.

16. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

This post also serves as a good advert for this forum - look at the OPs original post (first post on the forums by the look of it), managed to avoid a training provider and self study instead, and look at what he has achieved since then (according to his signature)!

:)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  17. Eilidhbob27

Eilidhbob27 Bit Poster

The training is also free these days. My neighbour done it and now has a pretty stable entry level job.

Not sure I'd do it though.

18. ocrm

ocrm New Member

I nearly fell for the Cerco IT Staffing Solutions trap about a year ago. I applied to a role advertised on a job site with a fairly decent salary. I then recieved an email saying:

"Thank you for your interest in Cerco IT Training and Recruitment. Further to your recent application I have great pleasure in confirming a place on the interview.

Process: The session will start with a group presentation providing you with an introduction to Cerco IT Training and Recruitment, this will also include an open question and answer session. Once this has finished the one on one interviews will commence. When allowing for time please prepare to be there for 2-3 hours."

So, I went and the rep opened by saying "Instead of me interviewing you, I like to do things a bit different. You can interview me" I was like wtf. We then spent about 30 mins doing apptitude tests and then ALL of us were told we would benefit from taking the Cerco course, even though most of us had REAL qualifications from accredited industries. What a waste of time.

Final word; save yourself the time, and don't have anything to do with these people. They are con artists who want you to pay for their course and then give you a ****ty role on minimum wage while they take the larger % cut that YOU are working for.