BEST WAY TO INSTALL SERVER 2003 TRIAL VERSION

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by purplejade, Mar 25, 2008.

1. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I have just bought the Microsoft training kit for MCSA/MCSE, and I need to install the trial version of server 2003 on my PC which has mediacenter XP on C drive. what is the best way to do it ? so that my windows XP is untouched, can I partition the c drive, and once the trial version has expired reformat the new drive to give me my original disk space, without disturbing the C drive. if so what is the best way to do it .....I am just a bit apprehensive..lest I mess it up..

Certifications: CCNA N+
    WIP: A+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could always set up a virtual machine using virtual pc or vmware server.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Thanks Guys,

So I would install the server trial version 2003 on c drive ? or create a folder on C drive and than install it ?...I believe than one could download VPC and run both operating systems...

5. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Thanks Guys,

So I would install the server trial version 2003 on c drive ? or create a folder on C drive and than install it ?...I believe than one could download VPC and run both operating systems...it will be great if I dont have to create another partition or dual boot...any guidance on how to go about it...

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

first install VMware, or if you want microsoft virtual server, inside windows XP, no need for partitions etc.

VMware will include instructions on how to use install server 2003 inside vmware, not used this yet, so cant give description.

if you want to use microsoft virtual server then you will need to download an image file for server 2003 from the website.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/

All the virtual disks are downloadable here (including server 2003), takes a little getting used too, nothing too complicated.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/bb738372.aspx

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, all you have to do is to install VPC or the VMWare program and then install Win2k3 in the Virtual environment, you don't have to mess about with partitions, unless you want your virtual machines to have their own drive. Hence the virtual part, inside the virtual environment the OS will only see what allocated space, on your real PC the virtual environment (with VPC) will be two files.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have virtual pc and server 2003 installed on it.

All you do is select new virtual machine, insert the disk and then select your cd-rom drive (normally d:) for within the VPC console it will then install as it would on a real pc, it will ask what size you want you virtual partition although there isn't a physical one then you just follow the installation instruction as normal.

You can change the settings within the VPC console to network it to other virtual machines, so you could use your existing copy of xp and install that as a second virtual machine and virtually network the two together.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Except that, unless you own a second license for XP, a breach of licensing, and illegal.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think he means use his xp installed on his machine along with the virtual harddisk he downloaded, which usually has 30 days(?) use on it?

Just playing with vmware server now, looks like both allow you to use physical or logical (for use only with other virtual machines on that system) for network connections, so very handy for all the networking youll be coming up against as you progress through your self learning :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  11. Fergal1982

Thats incorrect, GBL explicity stated that:

Not networking your XP machine to the virtual server (which is perfectly fine).

Additionally, the course books usually include 180 day trials (and dont seem to have a problem with you blitzing and reinstalling every 6 months)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  12. david248005

david248005 Bit Poster

The way I did it was to use partition magic to create a partition on the c drive which I allocated 5gigs of space. The install the server 2003 os onto this partition. This will now give you a dual boot system.

WIP: MCDST, OU T175 & M150,
  13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im not sure whether installing software to virtual server is possible (ie ive never had the need to do it), as i just use the virtual disks, but either way if someone did install XP twice on their virtual machine, then im sure the product activation would have problems, despite it being the same physical hardware, im sure the virtual hardware would cause issues.
    So they would only be able to use it for 30 days.

Either way as you say its easy enough to download or find a trial version so you are not exposing yourself to any risks of running unlicensed software.

Even though we consider it is same user and same machine, so ms should apply some sense when it comes to people training themselves to support THEIR software lol

As we all know, no M$ engineers means no companies running there OS, and that means no money.
    Hence the recent making of their development tools freely available to students.

14. Fergal1982

Certainly activates fine on VMWare, with any OS I've tried (XP, Server 2k3). Worked perfectly for the full 180 days without issue.

MS have indeed relaxed their licensing in certain circumstances (such as registered students being able to get hold of the full versions of 2k3, visual studio, sql server 2005, etc for a year (renewing the registration next year with their new student id's), but standard licenses do not entitle users to install on multiple 'machines' (and for the purposes of licensing, VMs are considered to be separate machines).

Licensing details

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It is possible to install frrom disk on virtual pc or vmware and I didn''t realise it would breach any license since its only virtual. Thanks for the heads up Fergal.:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's virtual... but a "virtual OS" is just about as usable as a "real OS". Same licensing rules apply: two OS installations, two licenses required.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are PLENTY of affordable training tools available for people who are learning how to use and administer Microsoft's software... MSDN, TechNet Plus, Action Pack, trial software, and beta software. So there's no justification provided by throwing out a weak excuse about it being the "same user and same machine". If you install an OS twice, you've got two usable OSes... no ifs, ands, or buts.

The licensing is the same as if you had a dual-boot system; the OS on each partition requires it's own OS. In truth, you can't use both OSes in a dual-boot system at the same time... with a virtual PC setup, you CAN use both OSes at the same time... thus, even MORE reason to require two licenses!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!