Symantec restore help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hi guys

The company that I work in has roaming profiles for all users (all with Windows XP) - today a user let me know that most of his favourites had magically disappeared and asked if I could retrieve them.

Our servers are backed up each evening onto tapes and we use Symantec backup exec for our backup software. I found the users roaming profile backed up on the server, so I initiated a restore for his favourites. Stupidly, I used folder redirection to restore his favourites to my own desktop (so I could check them first without overwriting his).

Silly me, I should have just got him to make a copy of his favourites on his desktop and then just restore, overwriting the ones in his profile. Now the restore has been completed, but there were no favourites appearing on my desktop (I checked my desktop directory on the server that the roaming profiles exist on) so I wasn't quite sure what was going on. After logging off my machine and logging back on, I received an error message saying something along the lines of ACCESS DENIED and that my machine would load up a temp profile and no changes would be saved!

Now I understand why it's done this - I don't have the permissions/rights for the other users profile directory, so in essence I don't have permission to view the files I copied over to my desktop.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to resolve my roaming profile - without having to rebuild it on our server than caching a new local copy onto my machine.

Thanks guys!

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If i read correctly, no damage has been done.

You have a restored copy of another users favourites to your desktop which you are unable to open.

This have not affected your favourites or the user in question.

Run back-up exec again, or use Windows Explorer and place in the users local unc. When he/she logs off it will sync with the server.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I may be misunderstanding this, but if it is your roaming profile that isn't loading, what happens when you log on to a different machine? I would guess it would work since the folder that you overwrote was in your profile. I would log in as an admin to your box and delete all local copies of your profile. Log off and then log back on as yourself. This should pull a (hopefully) good copy of the roaming profile to your desktop. I'd guess that it will not sync the roaming profile with the copy that was pulled locally to your pc because of the permission on that folder.

Hope this help.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822