Okay, I'm a firm Symantec hater now

Discussion in 'Software' started by GW, Aug 4, 2006.

1. GW

GW Byte Poster

I've been using Symantec System Works for a few years now and been happy, last version I had installed on my system was 2005. Recently I got a low hard drive space warning on my C drive and I discovered that I had 191MB's left of space.

I started moving the downloaded items to my D drive so I could burn them off later but soon I got a low space warning on my D drive (less than 100MB's left), then I really started wondering what is going on since I have two 120Gig SATA drives I shouldn't have ran out of space that quickly.

After deleting a lot of downloaded items or burning them to CD/DVD I was still very low on disc space, matter of fact I only gained a couple gigs of free space on either drive.

On further investigation I discovered that the majority of the space being used up was in the \Recycler\NPROTECT folder located on both drives. I had to uninstall Symantec SystemWorks 2005 from my system and I was able to delete about 70Gigs of files from the directory on the C drive and about 20Gigs on the D drive folder.

There were still over 7Gigs left on the C drive and 3Gigs on the D drive that I was not able to delete, after some searching I finally found the command that would allow the files and folder to be deleted which finally freed up the last of the space being used by those two directories.

Now after three days of cleaning my drives I now have almost 90Gigs free on my C drive and almost 40Gigs free on my D drive (still burning stuff off). But I can't understand why after over a year of having Systemworks 2005 installed on my system that it would go out of control like that and eat up all of my free space, probably Symantec screwed up on a program update or something.

But using a discount coupon I got a copy of Panda and so far it found one virus on my system that Norton did not see so I'm pretty happy with that.

Now for the long defrag process.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

G,

What i have never understood about Norton's protection is why they virus definitions only update every few days? :blink
    As for the utilities, i can't really comment as i have never used it.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

99.999% of all the "I can't send email" calls I get is directly related to Norton's scanning of outgoing email, and another 99.999% of all the "I can't get on the internet" calls is Norton's blocking internet access.

I was a long time Norton's user and supporter until I went to work where I am now. :D

~TG

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Whilst the only Norton / Symantec product that I use is AV I have to admit that it slows things right down. I just wish that I could use another AV at work, but since the licensing only costs the school £5 per year (and that's for the media), I guess I'll make do! :biggrin

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

£5! Blimey that is cheap!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im a hater too and i used to use them for years! When i took on a job in Sept 05 i was introduced to NOD32 and i was hooked! They the only anti-virus with 100% catch in the wild record. I thought so what but i saw this AV in action and i have even looked at another AV since. They offer a 30 trial and i think it 20 GBP a year licence. If you got virus problems look into the 30 day trial - if you need help setting it up give me a shout because for it to work properly it needs to be setup properly!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Must admit that NOD32 is an excellent product, I use it at work and have migrated server clients over from Symantec. It is amazing how many viruses Symantec misses in comparison to NOD32. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the thing is its not one of the popular ones yet it is the best in the business! i used to have nortons at home and formatted my machine every six months or so due to viruses i havent formatted since NOD.

A version 3 is coming out towards the end of the year that will do spyware scanning too!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

I have to agree NOD32 is absolutley brilliant, not a resource hogger like Symantec, the detection rate is much higher + it is also fully compatible with x64 OS's.

I recommend it.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Most Norton software is way too bloated and annoying for my tastes and yes I used it for years before I came to this conclusion.

I have read a lot of good things about NOD32 as well and hence agree it is very good.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)