CCNA - Subnetting Question

Discussion in 'Service Provider' started by Crazydave1990, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

Hi guys!

Just getting my teeth into subnets at the moment - pretty interesting stuff tbf, a little confusing, but I understand the basic concepts, 1s = network bits, 0's equal host bits etc.

I was reading a book, and it stated that Class A address can only be given to 126 companies?

Now, I'm just wondering, if you factor that, when you set-up a LAN, it assigns private IP addresses, which then go through a Default Gateway to access the internet, the NAT/PAT protocols translate your IP, into the Public IP on the other side of the router???

So theoretically, couldn't I have as many Class A address as I liked, as long as the class A address was on a private LAN? (albeit, a very big private lan haha!)

So, the 126 addresses that it mentioned, is that only for public addresses?

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

There are only a possibility of 126 Network IDs, but a possibility of 16,277,214 hosts per Network ID.

One of those 16 million hosts through NAT would translate to your IP.

I may not of explained that fully/understand it, as I am only half-way through my Network+ :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

Ok, so, if I get what your saying, BT Broadband for example own x amount of class A address, which it then distributes to it's customers???

then internally, those routers will be configured to run a class C network? could they, for example, run a class B network on there? could they change there internal IP address to whatever they please internally?

4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I see no reason why you couldn't run a Class A, B or C network internally.

From what I read from NAT, each IP Address is assigned a Port. The maximum number of ephemeral ports is 65536. I guess that means you can only use upwards from 1024 for the internal IP addresses before they are translated with NAT.

A single listening port can accept more than one connection simultaneously.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Technology, ACSP, ACTS
    WIP: MCSA (2012)
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure if that's the case. I would imagine a more flexible way would be to give ISPs a subnet of the addresses. For example, provider A could have a subnet mask of 255.128.0.0 and take the 0-127 part, and provider B could take the 128-255 part. How many ISPs need 16 million addresses? What a waste if they only need 2 million, which a 'class B' address wouldn't provide.
    Classes don't mean too much nowadays anyway. Handy when you're starting out, especially since you need to know what a class is before the classless part of CIDR makes any sense, but very few production systems are classful nowadays.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job