ITIL foundation worth doing for a IT tech?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by reverb, Jul 2, 2012.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'm having second thoughts doing this now after looking at job sites for ITIL and they tend to be for helpdesk and management roles. At this current stage, I'm neither of those so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my and money pursuing this. I'm currently looking for another job (more tech oriented rather than helpdesk). Will it be beneficial to me? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It depends on how much it's costing you to do, knowing why things are done a particular way is always worth it, have an ITIL Foundation certification shows that you have an understanding of the ITIL process, how a service desk is run as it is and the relationships between the business and IT work and why.

On the other hand this is a really dry subject matter and for the most part it's actually (well in my opinion) fairly straight forward and more common sense than anything else.

Put it this way, my company have essentially put all their staff through ITIL Foundation training, that includes straight forward techs.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'm self studying so I only need to pay for the exam (and book too) which currently costs £100 or so. I actually started reading the book and I agree so far it is quite straight forward.

4. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

I thought of self studying for this exam as it comes up in Job adverts as a "Essential" or "Desirable". What's the book your using?

Certifications: A+, N+
  5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Exactly what one of my previous employers did, we all went on the course from the helpdesk guys up to the Head of IT, which included all the web dev guys and even the general admin people.

Always used to give one of our team mates a ribbing as he was the only one to fail it :p

We actually had one of the guys who wrote the official books teach our course and he was a great chap, made the very dry subject not so dry.

6. Hedley

Hedley Bit Poster

I've found that everything I look to apply for nowadays wants ITIL. I've just started doing the ITIL foundation course through Skillsoft, which is provided by my employer.

7. mark_bridges

mark_bridges New Member

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I really don't have the patience or time to go through a book...been a long time since I left academics. Are there any good android apps out there which I can use to revise, or better still, a full course? That's the only way I can see I can prepare I had started studying it a year back but gave up after Service Transition :)

8. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

I did the Foundation exam about 18 months ago. I used the Art Of Service book, and the videos on their site. I found it VERY dry, but it got more interesting when I reached the parts that applied to areas I've worked on in real life. It was nice to see that I had kind of figured-out systems myself that were textbook-correct.

It didn't take long to go through the book and be ready, and everything was covered in the book (unlike with some of the Microsoft courses).

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  9. zach.mantle

zach.mantle New Member

There are android and iphone apps which help you memorize the terms and concepts. I used this app by myitstudy. It is really helpful. You can find it in the google play store.