Equipment able to use after.

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by jasonb1978, Dec 24, 2014.

1. jasonb1978

jasonb1978 New Member

Hi y'all,
    I am going to be training for CCNA, and I want to purchase some equipment to train on.

I don't have a big budget.

I've bee checking out some lab kits, however I do notice that most of the switches are only equipped with Fast Ethernet ports. I would really like to put this equipment to use after in my home, but I want faster speeds than 100basetx. One I've noticed is the SG300 managed switch, but I don't know if it would work for studying. It does have cli, but a web interface too.

Can anyone recommend a switch that has Gigabit Ethernet and and supported by the material to be covered in the books and exams?

2. jasonb1978

jasonb1978 New Member

Forget my thought of the SG300. CLI yes but IOS no. Still could use some suggestions on which switch to buy.

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you wanting to only go down the lab route? A Network Simulator could be an option as well mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

What is your budget?

You do not need a Gigabit switch for the CCNA.

Two 3550's switches and a 2950 switches will be fine
    3 x 1841 routers

The above is absolute min, tell me what you budget is and i can give you more detail but as Sparky says have you considered a network simulator?

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree